PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
So I will be the first to admit that I am in no way qualified to write a review on tobacco. But I will give it my best shot. Here goes:
Black House is my first balkan blend. I have typically stuck to aromatics, light VA's and VA's. Right out of the tin, I felt like this was the ''stinky blend'' peoples wives talk about. It seemed like i could smell the nicotine in it and almost received a buzz just from this (not really, but you know what i mean). Honestly, this blend kind of scared me but I wanted to give it shot anyways. I packed it in a small-ish bowl, maybe group 3 or 4 size using a three step method. It seemed to pack very easily which I always like in a tobacco. I was very cautious with my charring light drawing only ever so slightly and doing this 3-4 times before going for a true light. On the true light I again drew very easily, and only just enough to get the tobacco lit. I sipped ever so slightly all through the bowl and found myself re-lighting more than normal (maybe 4-5 times). I did this purposefully as to respect the nicotine and not get bitten by this beast. I am not very well versed in the smoking of latakia but it was definitely not overbearing in this blend, not to me anyways. All through the bowl it smoked cool and dry. It burned to a very nice white ash with almost no dottle, and lasted almost an hour in a small bowl. I cannot see this as an all day blend, but definitely has its place and cant wait to re-visit it.
EDIT: Mods please move this to tobacco reviews. Sorry.

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
If you've tried some of the other Balkan blends I sent you how does it compare in your opinion.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
sorry havent tried any others. will be soon though. I have one pipe i dedicate to latakia that i used for this blend so i will let it rest tomorrow and maybe give the SG balkan flake a shot on tuesday.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Honestly, this blend kind of scared me but I wanted to give it shot anyways
You aren't alone on that point, Sir! That first time opening the tin was quite the !Holy Crap! moment for me too...

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Funny. When I tried it, I had low expectations because I was so impressed with Magnum Opus. You see how things went from there. I wouldn't sweat the nicotine in there, it really isn't bad and I'm a weakling of the nicotine world.

Status
Not open for further replies.