PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I noticed some of my BF tin collection starting to swell a bit, and taking an older tin from the set down for a smoke. Not the '99 tins, those are for decoration. :mrgreen: The Virginias are far more into the forefront than when new, giving it more grassy sweetness and earthiness. The orientals have settled into a most desirable sour that compliments the Virginias very well. Latakia is just barely there in the periphery leaving a toasted wood note in the nose and on the tongue. The rum, though barely noticeable in the tin note now, gives the smoke a nice spice similar to a holiday spice cake.
I love BF fresh, but after seeing how it ages, I need to start keeping my hands out of the cookie jar as it were. I have a few more tins from that vintage, but need to stock more just for aging.
images

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
When it fades and melds with the rest of the blend, it makes a nice framework for the rest of the flavors.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I've got to try Black Frigate. I bought a tin a while back, under your 'healthy' encoutagement, but it's been sitting in my cellar. It sounds like I need a fresh tin to enjoy, and leave my cellar be for a few more years.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I bought an aged tin of Pirate Kake and found it to be difficult to keep lit and had formed an ammonia aspect. I had never had it fresh, so I went and got a fresh tin for comparison. I found the fresh much smoother and more enjoyable.
None of my Black Frigate is more than a few months old, but I'm hesitant to age it much, based on the PK experience.
Anyone else had a similar experience?
My 8 oz aged tin of Pirate Kake was a bit swollen, as well. Maybe it had storage condition variables along the way somewhere that contributed to my outcome.
Maybe it was the dreaded Frosted Leaf Eater mites I alluded to in another thread... :mrgreen:
jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I've got some PK from 2007 that is pleasantly mild. Still a bit too much lat for me by itself though. I generally blend it with Trout Stream.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I'm hoping to try some black frigate if I can get my B&M to get some in. I know I can order it online, but I just have never been big on getting my tobacco online. I know it's old fashioned but I just prefer to get my tobacco from my local B&M.

Jan 8, 2013
chasing embers, is that volcano yours?
It's mine. I let him borrow it for the photo so he'd feel special :mrgreen:
I need to find some aged BF. Or at least leave my current tins alone for a few years.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Tuesday starts my countdown til Christmas with my Weaver pipes and corresponding tobaccos, and that pair is first. Maybe by the 25th I'll forget about it.... Maybe.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I just dug out a bit more of the aged Pirate Kake.
The last time I smoked it was right after popping the tin. Now, the remainder is in a mason jar for a month or two. Since then, it seems the ammonia aspect has dispelled. Much nicer now and latakia has mellowed.
Thanks for inspiring me to check back in. Now it's enjoyable!
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.