Black Frigate And Sextant-Separated At Birth?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Black Frigate is a favorite of mine, and recently asked for suggestions about rum/english blends. I ordered a few G.L. Pease blends for IPSD, and among them was Sextant. Upon opening the tin, I was presented with very nicely uniform flakes, and a very familiar smokey, sweet rum smell that I get each time I crack open my glass jar of Black Frigate. Thought it to be odd, but proceeded to fill a sandblast Neerup pot, to enjoy my first foray into Pease's offerings. Indeed, very close flavor match to Black Frigate! Disappointed? Nope! Had been wishing Black Frigate was available in a flake vs. the crumble cake that it comes as. The crumble cake is fine for an average length smoke, but nothing beats a flake for a long relaxing session.
With the revelation of the similarity, I now have the option of the crumble cake, flake, rubbed out flake, or cubed cut depending on my mood! My favorite blend taste just took on an entirely new life, and I see many tins of Sextant to be added along side the cellared tins of Black Frigate already in my collection.
Happy Smoking

Duane

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have never smoked the black frigate.
I can say that sextant has a touch of dark fired in the background that's is very enjoyable. What pease has done with that blend is nothing short of masterful.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You should definitely give Black Frigate a try then. It is one of my top five!

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I finally got around to opening that tin of black frigate I ordered a few weeks ago.
This stuff is really, really, good. Thank you for the recommendation.
I was hesitant at first because I was getting a unique metallic twang/mineral smell off the tin note. But it didn't carry over into the smoke.
I could smoke this stuff all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.