PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Hi guys. Out of all I've smoked so far, I've really liked Mac Baren - Mixture Scottish Blend. I've tried orlik golden sliced and mississipi river and like the river somewhat. What quality blends are similar to Mac Baren - Mixture Scottish Blend? I think i'll like Black Cavendish, Virginia blends. That's probably why McLintock - Black Magic was sold to someone who wanted to purchase a tin of tobacco for me :) Does that mean I like aromatics? lol

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't have any Va/Cav on hand and don't want to guess, but I know there are several blends out there, at least. And of course you can always get some unflavored black Cavendish and mix it with your favored Virginia leaf and/or blends. It builds the volume of smoke nicely and can background the Virginias well. A mix I have always enjoyed is equal parts of Virginia and burley with a stout pinch (or more to taste) of unflavored Cavendish.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
The only black cavendish-Virginia blend I have smoked is C&D's bulk Winchester (Red Virginia/unsweetened black cavendish).

It is one of the rare C&D blends that I just do not care for.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Sounds like erinmore mixture you should try.
The recipe for Erinmore Mixture is a closely guarded secret which is revealed to only two people in each generation. It is known, however, that the tobaccos are selected from the premier tobacco growing regions of the world, naturally sweetened bright Virginia is hand blended with cool-smoking black Cavendish to produce the unique flavor and distinctive aroma of Erinmore. More than that we cannot reveal. A mellow aromatic tobacco with a cool taste and a slow-burning easy-smoking style.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I always take this opportunity to recommend one of my favorites, McConnell's Glen Piper. It has got that old timey cavendish thing going on, with a nice virginia base, plus a kick.

mixki-942-600x448.jpg

davedan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2015
Sallow, good recommendation mate! Any others you have to recommend? I was looking for something citrusy and fruity :)

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Try a teaspoon to a tablespoonful of Lane's BCA in a 50g tin of any more-or-less straight Va or Va-Per. Jar it, shake it up to be sure it's mixed well, let it set a week minimum.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I've found a lot of the Mac Baren blends have a similar flavor profile - try the blends Symphony, Navy Flake and Mixture Modern - if you like Scottish Mixture, you'll probably enjoy those as well.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
Mclelland has a blend that is exactly what you're looking for. Here is the description from smoking pipes:
McClelland: 800 - Black & Lemon

Product Number: 005-002-0047
This medium mixture is unusual for an aromatic tobacco. McClelland has purposefully declined to use a top note so that the natural subtleties would not be covered up; therefore, the pouch aroma is delicate, reflecting only the rich vanilla and caramel flavors aged into the leaf using McClelland's heat-seasoning process. Black Cavendish and lemon Virginias...and a burning aroma that is beautiful and light.

jaygreen55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2015
If you don't mind something a bit pricey for a bulk tobacco try Bleeker Street by Carol Burns at Pipeworks & Wilke. Definitely top quality leaf
http://vtpipes.com/tobacco.html
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2389/pipeworks-wilke-bleeker-street

Status
Not open for further replies.