PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spigot

Lurker
Apr 29, 2018
Is the fire cured fermentation of the Virginia leaves occurs as the first one or after the usual first flue cured?

There is obviously a language or terminology barrier here. I keep trying to dissect the sentence to obtain the essence of your question, but I am at a loss. It could be a problem with wording or understanding of processes.
Fire cure and flue cure are not interchangeable processes, and neither are really fermentation based.

Fire cure is where the leaf is smoked, similar to flue curing, but flue curing is merely the process by which a brightleaf is cured to turn starches to sugars. Fire curing is mostly used with burleys in the US, but it can be used with any leaf. But, I don't think that fire curing is done to Virginias on an industry level.
Does this help?

spigot

Lurker
Apr 29, 2018
I'm looking for clarification about the Black Cavendish produced with Virginia leaves. There's a double fermentation for the Cavendish. Flue cure doesn't give black tobacco. To obtain this, you need to dry the leaves under fire (like for the Latakia). What I'm looking for is if this stage (fire cure) occurs after the first flue cure or replace it as first process.

There are more than just one way to approach the cavendish process. I have never had one that tasted smokey. I have gotten it when it was dried little morsels like rat droppings (stoved), and I have gotten it when it was moistened, and even flakes like Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flakes.

But, smoke is not usually used in the cavendish process for Virginias, that I know of. It is merely a slow cooking of the leaf.
Is there a particular blend that you were thinking of?

If you are wanting to fire cure some Virginia, I have done this at home with some success. It is not even close to a commercial process that I have seen. I actually was just trying a method that I had seen posted on one of the forums for homegrowers. I put the leaf in the smoker, and cured it while smoking it. It does not turn the leaf black though. I got a deep brown, and it has a smell similar to Dark Fired Kentucky, but because it so much sweeter, it has more of a smoked sausage-y smell. The taste in the pipe is mildly spicey, not even close to what a dark fired Kentucky tastes.
Check out youtube videos of a homegrowers fire curing. Not many people on this forum grow their own tobacco. But, it would be nice if they did. Do you grow?

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
This is from a different forum, but it details the process of making black cavendish quite well.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/637-Making-Black-Cavendish-Pipe-Tobacco
Cosmic, that fire-cured Virginia sounds tasty!

spigot

Lurker
Apr 29, 2018
Thank you all. The process occurs after the normal flue cure for the Virginia. Then, you can choose between variety of methods to produce the second fermentation. (In this second process, blenders can use only glycol or add some flavorings.)
(And if someone can tell me why my avatar doesn't appear, it will be nice too... :))

I am curious as to why you are asking. What blend has a fire cured Virginia?
And, this site has two logins, one for the magazine part, and one for the forum. You have uploaded the avatar for the magazine, but not the forum. On your post here in this thread, click on your name under the missing image. Then scroll over to the far right and click the button in the upper right, that says "Avatar."

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
This is from a different forum, but it details the process of making black cavendish quite well.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/637-Making-Black-Cavendish-Pipe-Tobacco
The best method, by far is here:http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/6255-Pressure-Canner-Cavendish-v2-0?highlight=pressure+cooker
It'll turn a Virginia into candy!

spigot

Lurker
Apr 29, 2018
Well... Heat (steam) will do the job... Cant't remember where and when I saw this fire cure process... Sorry for this. (But in fact, you need fire to produce heat... :))
(And thanks to Cosmic for the avatar.)

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
Then, you can choose between variety of methods to produce the second fermentation. (In this second process, blenders can use only glycol or add some flavorings.
Still not sure what info you are seeking. Can you be a little more specific?

spigot

Lurker
Apr 29, 2018
[/quote]Still not sure what info you are seeking. Can you be a little more specific?
Well, at the beginning I was looking for how one got dark Virginia (looking like Latakia like the one you have in "Dark Virginia" from Rattray's or the one you can find in many "english" mixtures). Those leaves are supposed to be non aromatic. Since they are "Cavendish" that means they receive a second fermentation. My interrogation was: are they first "fire cured" (let say now "heated"), then heated a second time in a pressing process, or if they are first normally flue cured, then heated, in a pressing or another process.
So, they are first flue cured, then heated.
My problem now is the following. Since we have this black Cavendish. Do they press those leaves in cakes, then rip those cakes, add the other leaves required for the blend they prepare and press (or simply crush) them all, or if they skip the first step - means they mix the dark Virginia with the other leaves and press (or crush) them?

I am not sure which Rattray Virginia you mean in specific, but Virginias are sometimes blackened in the aging process before it is pressed, or even durring the heat pressing phase. What you won’t find mich information about is color curing, which is the process that happens durring or after the initial curing process. This is what will give you the orange to black coloration of the Virginia. In the Rattray Virginias that I have had, there was no fire curing. But, keep in mind that working with Virginias is like cooking. Many different processes can be done to it to give it palatability and eye appeal. There is no one way in which Virginias “have” to be processed. There is even a strain of seed known as “black Virginias” that was developed in Africa and Asia. But, it is usually a very strong nicotine leaf, like what is used by GH&co ropes.
One of the things that appeals to me about growing Virginias is that so much can be done with them or to them that can affect flavor. Unless you ask them dirrectly, then we are just guessing at what they do to their leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.