PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
You would think they'd be all over the place, but I can't find a simple, pure black #3 sandblasted billiard. Any ideas, gentlemen?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Savenelli has these in abundance. If you're looking for a good bargain, from a different maker, GiGi features these on various

sites. Try Cup O Joes that has one for $49.95 or thereabouts. It may be rusticated, but not a bad pipe by appearances.

Dec 24, 2012
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/dunhill/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=126926
If you don't want to go with a Dunhill, SP has a great pipe locator app, though you cant seem to choose colour but you can narrow it down to a billiard.
http://www.smokingpipes.com/search/pipesearch.cfm

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I just bought this last night (will receive it next week) - at 6.5 inches long, it's not a group 3, but I couldn't help share it anyway:
002-029-18302.jpg

Anyway, good luck with your search!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Nice pipe, six. Is it a metal to metal spigot or a partial?
Good luck on your quest for black billiard, Sparrow.
=D

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Nice pipe, six. Is it a metal to metal spigot or a partial?
Thanks wyfbane - I've been wanting one of these Rosslare Royal's in black for a while, but they're hard to come by.
It's a silver band rather than an actual spigot.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Rothnh, the Ropp black sandblast is exactly what I want (next to a black Dunhill); no I just have to be certain it's a number 4 bowl, and I'll get it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Six, you lucky dog! I had my eye on that one as well, just couldn't afford it right now. That's alright though, I'm glad you bought it. I've got two more Petes coming my way soon anyhow. It should be a good one! Smoke one in it for me!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Six, you lucky dog! I had my eye on that one as well, just couldn't afford it right now. That's alright though, I'm glad you bought it. I've got two more Petes coming my way soon anyhow. It should be a good one! Smoke one in it for me!
lol! Sorry you missed it - but I had a feeling it wouldn't last long if waited.
Also - when it was first listed, they didn't mention if it was a classic or a royal, so I assumed it was a classic. The next week they listed it as a royal and then I knew I had to get it. :puffy:

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for all the advice gentlemen! I've saw the Ropp--thanks, Rothnh! You came through as usual--and fell in love with it. I made the order and should see it by Tuesday. With this Ropp, the Ashton (which I had shortly but had to send back because it had a pipe cleaner stuck in the stem, but they'll return it soon), and the Hardcastle Royal Crown, my rotation of bulliards is complete. Of course, I still long for a Dunhill Shell Briar... Thanks again all, I've learned so much from you!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That Ropp is a beautiful pipe at a commendable price. I like the light weight but ample bowl.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
numbersix,
I just received today that very same pipe purchased from "Bard's Vintage Briar" http://www.vintagebriar.com/petersons-rosslare-106/ who just happens to be my favorite estate pipe dealer, but in this case the Peterson's Rosslare 106 was brand new.
What a perfect smoking pipe it is!
Love the Black Sandblast, Stearling Silver Band, and Amber bit.
Sparrowhawk, I highly recommend it.
~Zeke

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I noticed the slender stem and large bowl as well. My other two billiard have stout stems, so this one should be an interesting change. Isn't amazing how each pipe, not only esthetically, but in the manner it which it smokes, is so different from other pipes? Even one Peterson (for example) smokes different from another of the same class. I have two Petersons from the Dracula series and hope to add another (and hopefully last) to my personal series, and each one smokes differently, yet each one is smokes uniquely like a Peterson. Fascinating.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Sparrow, that is a great looking pipe, congrats. When I see pipes like that all I can think of is that is what a pipe should look like. Love the classic look.
six, great new addition buddy, hope it smokes great for you.
youngp, Hef did smoke a black straight Billiard. I grew up watching that show and was always fascinated by his pipe, and of course the woman.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Here's the pipe I'm getting, courtesy of Smoking Pipes.com and Rothnh
Congrats SH - that is a beauty!
@zekest - congrats on that Pete - that's great to hear!
six, great new addition buddy, hope it smokes great for you.
Thanks Harris - really appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.