PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Finished this one out a week ago- Love the way the Morta and ivory work together... Hard to find much shop time lately because of work...but it helps keep me sane...

2sbwjvc.jpg

1z4wyn5.jpg

2meo58l.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
...and I seemed to be doing a lot of black bamboo for some reason last week- here was a little billiard at around 24 grams...

a9stvs.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
...and if you've ever wondered how the tenon is cut that the ivory ring slides over- I'm using a tenon cutter that's probably 50 years old-came from an old pipe repair shop. It's extremely unusual because the guide pin is stationary and only the cutter head spins around it. I use a section of 3/16" carbon fiber tube that slips into the mortise- all it takes then is to push that into the cutter and 10 seconds later, it's done...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXPHcVje8m8&feature=youtu.be

Jan 8, 2013
Zack... I really just don't like the look of bamboo shanks on a pipe. I think it really takes away from how the pipe would look with a briar shank. In my opinion it really hurts the look. But GOOD LORD HAVE MERCY!!!! Those two pipes are the first I've seen that I really thought looked great! :) Especially that morta with cumberland stem. Goodness! Absolutely stunning. Well done good sir.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Thanks Anthony....Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I really prefer the black bamboo to the natural- the biggest challenge is that the black layer is incredibly and is a real challenge to avoid sanding through....

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Exotic looking pipe and extremely well done from the photos. Do you glue the bamboo shank to the morta connection? Just curious, as I have seen many pipes with a sleeve inside the bamboo and others like Dunhill who actually use a brass pin as an attachment. That pipe os superb, and I can imagine that Banjo is drooling over it!!! LOL

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
@docwatson
Do you glue the bamboo shank to the morta connection?

Up until a few months ago, I was using about a 1.25 length of stainless tubing. Had a conversation with Joao Reis at the Chicago show about some of the impossibly small bamboo shanks he was using and found he was using carbon fiber tubing- the tubing has an epoxy base and gives a great glue bond with epoxy glue between the morta and the bamboo- I like it a lot...
Dan,
Not sure about the RPM- this isn't run on the lathe- it's a completely self contained unit with a little 1/8 hp motor and round leather belt driving the pulleys. If I had to guess, It looks to be around 1100 rpm...I like it, because all the T-Head cutters that use a fixed guide pin rotating with the cutter tend to enlarge the size of the mortise as the guidepin is rotating. Also helps that I can push the mortise on the pin for a really snug fit before I turn on the motor and start cutting...

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Yeah I just saww the motor, blind ol man I am. Looks like the old Pimo tenon cutter I have layin around somewhere, havent use it in years . Worth a try, I cut those collar seats by hand 8O, be nice to save some time.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Zack, beautiful work of art, per the usual. Your pipes just keep getting better and better. Once i get my finances in order and am on the prowl for another pipe, yours are in top contention. I would be proud to own one of your creations and proud to support a great pipe maker and person. Cheers and keep on keepin' on, Zack!

Status
Not open for further replies.