PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatrix

Lurker
Feb 18, 2019
Hello All,
I know that Black and Milds are called pipe tobacco. I find these to be very harsh and not very tasty. Can these be compared to the way good pipe tobacco tastes ?

I've only had Black and Milds and Prince Albert.

Thoughts ?

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Huh? Black and Milds... the cigars?
Yeah... no. I’m aware that they’re very popular but absolutely nothing like a good pipe tobacco blend smoked in a well broken in briar pipe. No comparison whatsoever.

Reactions: JMcQ

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
You’d think all these years of internetting would have led me to use a more generic quality chicken product example. I really set that up perfectly for an opinion-as-unassailable-fact nongermane response. Well played, Internet.

I have no idea what a chicken ring or White Castle is,

but I do know that the cigar world regards pipe tobaccos as vanilla aromatics. Go into a cigar shop and ask the guy working there, usually they are about 400 lbs, no neck, and their bulbous nose glows like Rudolf from some sort of alcohol poisoning. They also usually have a tatoo on their neck or face with a beard that looks like they can't make up their mind between a Viking or ZZTop... Ask that guy what the difference between cigars and pipe tobacco is. He will tell you something along the lines of pipe tobaccos are flavored, usually vanilla or fruit flavored. They could care a rats ass less about what pipe tobacco really is, and if you start explaining to them the facts, they'll mostly just roll their eyes like you are talking about the differences in women's bras.

jmatrix

Lurker
Feb 18, 2019
I forgot I started this thread. A year later ,smoking a Black and Mild, I’m searching and find this thread. The name looks familiar, it is me. Lol Thanks for the replies.
Some updates: I’ve tried Half and Half and it gave me nicotine sickness. Next stop is Lane 1Q perhaps. Not sure I’m ready for a quality chicken wings yet.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I forgot I started this thread. A year later ,smoking a Black and Mild, I’m searching and find this thread. The name looks familiar, it is me. Lol Thanks for the replies.
Some updates: I’ve tried Half and Half and it gave me nicotine sickness. Next stop is Lane 1Q perhaps. Not sure I’m ready for a quality chicken wings yet.

I like Black and Milds. They're made with some kind of aromatic pipe tobacco, I can't find a match though. They'll get a lot of flak around here.. The truth is, they are probably made with a pretty decent blend. When I was first learning to smoke I would break them down and put em in my pipes..

Problem with Black and Milds is.. they are more expensive than most of the best pipe tobacco. With a single pipe tobacco I can get bored, pipes give you much more variety. Its just a better experience with the pipe. In the last year I haven't been back to them much.

My stepson was working at a fancy cigar shop learning about cigars. I told him to smoke one with me, just for shits and giggles. After he Graduated and moved on to a real Job, the free cigars ran out. He started smoking the Black and Milds, from there he has moved on to the pipes. Long story short, a lot of people probably found pipe smoking from Black and Milds. They're the closest thing... near the mainstream, to pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you're hungry enough, White Castle is good enough. As for cheap little cigars, once or twice a week, if that's all you smoke .... With a nicely turned briar pipe and a premium blend, that's a different proposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.