PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
In my questionable quest to explore as many blends as I can, I came up with these two interesting blends. Torben Dansk (Dan) tobacco's Black Velvet, and Vauen's Black Pepper. Black Velvet is supposedly flavored like the drink Black Velvet which consists of part Guinness Stout and part Champagne, and Black Pepper is supposed to have some black pepper flavor. In both cases I say supposedly, because I don't quite get the claimed flavor in either. The Black Velvet is more successful of the two, because the tin note has some of that rich flavor that is Guinness, and I can detect a little alcohol note. But mostly I taste Latakia, and Virginia. Kind of an English Aromatic. It comes as a broken flake I guess would be the best description, and is overall a nice smoke. I've had a Black Velvet drink before, and this reminds me a LITTLE of that drink.
Now the Black Pepper is a whole different animal. I didn't really get black pepper from the tin note, it actually reminded me of Ramsgate, kind of fruity and a little licorice. Drawing through the unlit pipe I did notice a black pepper essence. Smoking this ribbon cut was nothing like Ramsgate though! Here I noticed the black pepper in the background for sure, although it lessened as I smoked down the bowl. To me it was rather Virginia forward with the tongue numbing effect of black pepper. An interesting smoke that's not bad, but my least favorite of the two. One thing I can say for sure is that these are not typical aromatics, you can really taste the tobacco with these blends, but you do get the odd flavorings a little bit.
The thing is, I really enjoy trying new blends that I know will be different from anything I've tried before. If I don't like them, I can try them later to see if I like them enough to keep, or just gift them to someone else.
img_1415-600x396.jpg

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
"The thing is, I really enjoy trying new blends that I know will be different from anything I've tried before. If I don't like them, I can try them later to see if I like them enough to keep, or just gift them to someone else."
I like your smoking philosophy.

Thanks for sharing your experience with these two.

Jan 8, 2013
I don't know about the Black Pepper thing... that's just too weird for me. But Black Velvet sounds quite interesting and I may give that one a try in the near future. Thanks for the reviews Orley :clap:

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I think I will drink Guinness and smoke some nice English Blend. No thanks on Black Pepper tobacco. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.