Bjarne Vikings - Are they made in Italy or Denmark?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
A friend of mine has a Viking Classic. I like the looks of it. I was thinking of getting a bent apple pipe by them. The Houston Light. I am confused browsing P&C's site though as some are listed as having an origin of Italy but others say Denmark. Are there two factories? Are some older from one country and the others newer from a different factory? Or is one of these a typo? Pipedia used the description "Danish" so I'm inclined to think they're from Denmark but maybe there's a bit of history missing from the article on Bjarne?

Sep 18, 2015
The one I have is stamped Viking Classic Italy. It smokes like a champ and has a volcanite bit that's very comfortable.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear I'm eyeing up quality pipes. The few negative reviews I've found have given me pause but the best critical review said it was a solid pipe but a tad overpriced. If I got it from P&C with their already lower than MSRP prices and with the 20% off sale, I think I'll be happy. Now to decide which specific one I want...

Sep 18, 2015
Mine is the Skagen Bent Apple, has a small fill and a dark spot in the briar itself, the internals are spot on and solid. Got it from the local B&M, they had a 35% off sale that let me walk it out the door for less than $50

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Off hand, I'd say this is another Danish pipe that has moved production to Italy. If they must move, for tax or labor cost reasons, at least Italy is an established and rigorous pipe culture, with experienced craftspeople and a community and tradition in pipe making. I do miss the national identity pipes used to have. Are my recent Stanwells Danish or Italian pipes? I appreciate that they are "designed" in Denmark and carry that tradition in many of their shapes, but they're made on Italian soil. It's the global economy, but maybe we will regain a place and sense of locale over time. It can be good thing.

Bjarne was a pipe designer who had other companies make the pipes for him, Nording, Stanwell, and etc... It was said that he had no idea how to operate a lathe. I got to meet him back when he was at one of the Briary events a few years ago, great guy. He strictly stayed with Danish pipemakers to make his designs, but he passed away a few years ago. And his name is now stuck all over some very cheaply made pipes. These pipes made now with his name on them are not nearly as well made as when he was alive.
I would recommend someone buy a bucket pipe over one of these Bjarnes being made today. What a disgrace for such an esteemed designer to have his name tied to such horrible pipes. And, soon these crap pipes will be confused with the ones that were being made when he was alive.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
My first pipe was a Bjarne Viking Classic, and the only issue I had with it was a fairly tight draft hole. I opened it up, and it's been a fine smoker ever since. At the price point I paid, there's no question it's a factory pipe rather than a handmade. As with everything, YMMV.

All Bjarnes were factory mades. He was merely a designer. As I said, everyone joked with him for not knowing anything about how pipes were made or the tools. His designs were very nice and designed from a pipe smoker's perspective, not designed from a pipemaker's perspective. But, quality dropped off quickly after he died in 2008, they became like "seconds pipes" from other factories.

Jan 8, 2013
Low cost mass produced pipes, yes. But I wouldn't call them crap pipes, Cosmic. Mine is manufactured quite well and smokes well. I would however love to have a true Bjarne Nielsen. But that's the difference between the two. One is a mass produced, low cost pipe, and the other is a hand made artisan pipe whether by Bjarne Nielsen himself or another carver who was under his employ.

Crap... only by comparison to the ones that Bjarne actually designed. In that they will eventually get mixed up with the ones made in his lifetime. Don't get me wrong... If you like your pipe, then don't worry about what I have to say.

Actually, NO Bjarne was handmade. Ha ha, check out the stuff about Bjarne Neilson. He never claimed to be a pipemaker. You will find the ones designed by Bjarne to be rather cheap also. $150-75 range. I think that these being made today are actually Stanwell seconds.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have an old Bjarne Nielsen from the late 80's. I know it wasn't very expensive because at the time I couldn't afford expensive. It is one of my best smoking pipes and one I always look forward to smoking.

Jan 8, 2013
The lower cost Bjarnes from before his death were likely made by Johs, Cosmic. According to Pipedia, Johs made about 50% of the pipes under the Bjarne name. There's a pretty good write up about it here... https://pipedia.org/wiki/Bjarne
I have no idea who makes the Bjarne Viking line, though.

katarn07

Might Stick Around
Mar 1, 2016
I had read the name on the pipe means little these days and they're not as good as they once were. But I've read very few negative reviews and have seen most folks were happy with them so I pulled the trigger on the Skagen Virgin Bent Ball. I didn't quite like the looks of all the apples and eggs and this ball was the closest design that my mind's eye had dreamed up. Love the orange honey orange/brown finish.
25984251200_1061f4f50c.jpg

I have no idea who makes the Bjarne Viking line, though.

Anthony, I would wager a full paycheck that Stanwell makes them now, especially since they are made in Italy now. I got to meet Bjarne a few years ago. Great guy. He told us a lot about Nording, and Nording came to the event the next year. So, I put 2+2. For such a teeny tiny country, with so many mass produced pipes, like Nording, Stanwell, Johs... You know these factories are all incestual, swapping spit and tools. Well, except Nording. His are all made in Poland now... uh oh, did I say that out loud?

Jan 8, 2013
Well, except Nording. His are all made in Poland now...
How dare you speak such blatant blasphemy of Nording! I cringe and nearly lose my lunch from both ends just trying to believe you would say such a thing! 8O
But would that be all un-Nording made Nordings? Or just the low cost pipes such as the Valhalla line, or those ghastly Harmony line pipes with the prints on the bowls?

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Bjarne's from 1985:

cba741b8.jpg

Bjarne's from 2005:

1b196eec.jpg

The rustication on the 2005 suggests Nording to me, and wherever those Nordings come from. Both smoke well, but I like 0ld '85 much more.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Bjarne Vikings are definitely now made in Italy, but I know for a fact that they're not made by Stanwell, especially since Stanwell's pipes are made by another manufacturer to Stanwell specs.

One thing, though. There were, however, handmade pipes from Bjarne, which were referred to as High-Grades. In fact, we still have a few on the site. They're one of a kind shapes with hand-cut stems. Of course, Bjarne didn't make them himself, but the best artisans who worked on the regular lines did a limited number of them when time allowed. You can see the last few remaining here : http://www.pipesandcigars.com/brands/1980/bjarne-nielsen/?type=Pipes
Russ

I appreciate the letting us know that Stanwell isn't making these. As I said, this was just a guess, because of their move to Italy. And, thanks for the clarification on some of his high grades, but I knew this. I have one stamped "Bjarne Nielson" which I think was from the 90's. He was quite a character to meet. It was also said that he never cleaned any of his pipes, never even using a pipe cleaner, quite the character, just smoked it till it was nasty and tossed them. But, I guess if I had a thousand pipes, I might do the same. Ha ha.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I love mine, its a Sandblast Bent Billiard #5 and it's a solid smoker. I paid around $50 for it 2 years ago, it was the 1st pipe I ever bought that cost more than $20 and wasn't a Dr. Grabow. I just smoked last night as a matter of fact.

pm-p153171.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.