PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
After a great trip to Cali to visit family, I picked up this new pipe in Old Sac for $30! The shop is going out of business this month, and the few pipes he had left, as well as much of the store was 35 to 50% off. This pipe was listed at $60.
I have researched the Bjanre story, but cannot find a similar one to compare. It is stamped "Viking Classic, but has the hardware and false sphigot of a Copenhagen.
Two questions for you: Does anyone have a similar pipe?
I Want to dedicate it to either aromatic or English blends. I enjoy smoking both. Which do you think I should use this one for?
Bjarne.jpg

misternoah

Lurker
Nov 29, 2011
I have a very similar pipe. It's also labeled "Viking Classic." While it doesn't have the hardware on there like that, it looks to be exactly the same bowl shape/size, but with a straight tapered stem instead of a saddle, and just one little silver "ring" where they meet up. I love it - it's one of my favorite pipes.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I picked up a Viking years ago while travelling and for the life of me have no idea where it is now. But as I remember it was a fine pipe, typical of what you'd expect of Bjarne's entry level. Simple, well made, not the prettiest girl at the dance but not the ugliest either.
But I don't understand your other question, Kennerth... what tobaccos did it work best with? I'd suggest smoking the highest quality tobacco you can get your hands on. But do English or aromatic blends smoke better in a Viking? I'd say if matching blends to pipes makes a difference to you, then you probably wouldn't be smoking a Viking in the first place.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Thanks Van! You're my first true pipe snob! I am honored! Most on this site, like me, can get just as excited about a $5 cob as they do about a freehand! However, your assumption that because this is a mid-range pipe, that I only smoke mid-range tobaccos, is inaccurate and therefore, your conclusion false.

I appreciated that you addressed my second question. The way I look at it is that you have what you have, and need to make the most of it. Pipe selection and tobacco matching seems like the game of Clue. "I'll take the Frog Morton in the Library with a Savinell.". And then we credit it to ourselves as genius when it works out. Hopefully, the best blend for this pipe will show itself sooner than later!

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"Snob"?! You say that like it's a bad thing!
Seriously though, I meant no snobbery... I actually liked my Viking quite a bit! I wish I knew where it was! The Viking line is, indeed, an entry-level line of the Bjarne brand so they may not be quite as cosmetically pleasing as others, but well made pipes nonetheless.
I made no assumptions about your choice of tobaccos, either. I just didn't understand your question asking what you should smoke, English or aromatic.
And my little joke about ones smoking expertise equating to ones choice of pipes was just that... a joke. I don't think there are "best blends" for specific pipes; I don't have "flake pipes" or "Balkan pipes". But that's just me. But with almost 25 years of pipe smoking and collecting experience, I will pass on opinions when asked.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Van, No worries! All was taken, and given, with humorous intent! My question was less than scientific. I do think it is a good idea not to mix smelly (aromatics) and stinky (English) in the same pipe, alhough my pipe, like my wood stove, doesn't seem to spit anything out. As the decision as to what type to use in this pipe is a coin flip, my questions purpose is to see if I can bias that coin flip with arbitrary and anecdotal comments and opinions, which is where we shine here on the forum! So there were two possibilities, you have added a third" It doesn't really matter!
Have a great New Year!

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
In another thread, they referenced a GL Pease article, where he basically said you have to take it a pipe and a tobacco at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.