PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've been delaying writing this one up, as I still haven't quite teased out the specific flavors in the aromatic fruitiness, but at this point, I suspect they don't really matter to those of us whose palates are not yet trained in the details.
This is the first of 4 blends produced by STG Lane Ltd. (listed on the back of the tin) for Smoke Shop Specialties in Wisconsin (listed on the front of the tin). Smoke Shop Specialties describes the Odin's Wind blend as "... a great marriage of nutty Burley with zesty bright Virginia and a smooth, mellow black Cavendish, and finished with a warm, slightly sweet vanilla note. Mild enough to enjoy all day, rich enough to satisfy." I bought my tins through Pipes&Cigars.com, whose catalog describes the blend's aromatic components as "Vanilla, Sweet", which is right in line both with the blend's marketing and my own experience.
The vanilla notes are definitely there when you open the tin. There's something vaguely fruity about the scent as well, but as noted above, I haven't teased out the specifics yet. The tobacco is relatively moist out of the tin, and will benefit from some drying time. My first few bowls gurgled a bit, partly due to the moisture level and partly due to the winter temperatures here in Colorado when I was trying out the blend. The room note is pleasant - I got unsolicited feedback from a friend who was in the area while I was smoking it, saying it smelled terrific. The aromatic element faded a bit as I smoked, so the last third to quarter of the bowl simply tasted like the tobacco blend, which is not a bad thing. Smoking it a little slower (as the temperature outside went up) helped to preserve the aromatic notes a little longer. This one has yet to smoke down to grey ash for me, but I'm also still figuring out the proper amount of drying time (15 minutes does not seem to do it, and I haven't tried a full half hour yet).
I'll admit - I like this one mostly for the name. One of my sets of great-grandparents were Swedish immigrants, and I'm a big fan of Scandinavian Viking-era history and mythology. My first pipe was a Bjarne Viking Classic, and I like the idea of smoking a blend designed by/for the same company. It's not spectacular, and won't replace 1-Q or Molto Dolce in my Aromatic rotation, but it could very well end up as the third non-cherry aromatic in my regular lineup, pending further experiementation. But honestly, this one reminds me more of Freyr than of Odin with its light, pleasant aroma and medium body.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Orin's Wind....? Not really sure how I feel about the name, but well done review!! Have you tried Tsuges "the mystery of autumn"?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From the review, another one I'd guess you'd like is Lanes bulk LL-7, a pleasant lively aro and mild.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
iamn8 - I've got tins of all four "Seasons" sitting on my shelf right now, but until I've got a jar available to transfer the tin contents into, I'm leaving them tinned. I've opened 3 out of the 4 Bjarne Viking blends (Eric the Red and William the Conqueror are currently being explored, St. Olaf to follow), and once I've cleared some space I'll be diving into the Tsuge blends. As I don't smoke that much, it takes me a while to work through a tin even if I focus on it...
mso489 - The other Lane bulk blends are also on my "to purchase and try one of these days" list, specifically LL-7, HGL, Hazelnut, and BS-005.

Jan 8, 2013
The name is the reason I HAVEN'T tried the blend yet :rofl: I didn't want to purchase a tin on the sole purpose that is has a cool name and I like Norse mythology. Of course, it would have to be smoked in my Bjarne Viking as well (which I did buy partly because of the name lol... good pipe though.) I've been waiting to see if a review would pop up on here, and now that one has I can give it a go :D

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I just bought a tin of Odin's Wind and haven't cracked it yet. From above it sounds like I'll enjoy it. Thanx for the heads up Phred. I have to agree with iamn8 about the name - sounds like the tin note should reek of, well you know. 8O

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Funny how language evolves huh? One mans wind is another mans... well wind :)

Speaking of Gods, I wanna try the Tsuges God blends. All this Godly tobacco!! I'm feeling so holy!!

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Who ever made up the name for this blend has no grasp of American humor. First thing I thought, was like you... Odin breaking wind. :lol:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
glhrn.jpg

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Plus, Odin is a God of Death, Battle, Ecstasy, Poetry, and Inspiration. I could see a honey aromatic, maybe - he's associated with Mead, after all - but this is kind of lightweight for the God of the Wild Hunt.
But then, I'm not a Danish tobacconist. What do I know? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.