PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Anyone have opinion about how a Bjarne Nielsen might smoke.....any experiences ?

Below is copy/paste from Pipedia :
The cheaper line was stamped "Bjarne" while the highest grades were stamped "Bjarne Nielsen" (never with the pipemakers' name) and graded, from highest to lowest, by the letters: AX, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, and J.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I've never smoked a Bjarne Nielsen stamped handmade, but have sure sold a lot of them over the years and heard complimentary feedback from a few of the buyers, never any bad words about about them. Pipedia intimates that different pipe makers made the higher graded "Bjarne Nielsen" stamped pipe, but as he was a talented pipe maker himself, I am not sure of Pipedia's accuracy and would defer comment to those more knowledgeable.
The handmade Bjarne line of pipes have always been considered great values.

Reactions: dmcmtk

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Bjarne is a good old Danish line of pipes. Nothing wrong with them at all. I have one still in my collection and it is made the cut time and again. I like it very much and can't bring myself to part with it. For the price they are good pipes. Not top shelf or highly collectible, but good.
kUtONGV.jpg

CttQzjb.jpg

railman

Might Stick Around
Mar 9, 2019
Somebody else that knows more about the skilled carvers that made pipes for Bjarne (and went on to become well known in the pipe world with their own pipes, such as Tonni Nielsen) can probably comment on that aspect.
I have a grade B that could best be described as a scoop shape. I can’t identify who carved it but they were definitely skilled, perfect engineering. It’s a great smoker. As long as it’s a graded, handmade Bjarne Nielsen I don’t think you could go wrong. As for the non-graded production pipes that may be hit or miss. I owned one of those at one time as well, it was OK but nothing special.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I have a Bjarne that I paid 30 bucks for about 35 years ago.It smokes great..Probably the best value I've ever gotten in a pipe.

Oct 20, 2019
I just acquired myself this Bjarne Nielsen pipe from an online shop, waiting it to be arriving on Monday and cannot wait to try how it smokes! These photos are from the seller, the pipe is unsmoked and stamped "Bjarne Nielsen Handmade In Denmark F". Just out of curiosity, if there are any Bjarne experts here, any knowledge (or an educated guess) about the potential artist who carved this pipe would be appreciated!

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I've never smoked a Bjarne Nielsen stamped handmade, but have sure sold a lot of them over the years and heard complimentary feedback from a few of the buyers, never any bad words about about them. Pipedia intimates that different pipe makers made the higher graded "Bjarne Nielsen" stamped pipe, but as he was a talented pipe maker himself, I am not sure of Pipedia's accuracy and would defer comment to those more knowledgeable.
The handmade Bjarne line of pipes have always been considered great values.
I didn't know Bjarne carved. I remember he said he spent a huge number of days in the year on the road doing his trunk shows. I bought my one and only Bjarne Nielsen high grade from him personally at my local B&M, a beautiful squat bulldog carved, he said, by Vigen. The pipe lacked a grade stamp and he told me he didn't know why, but that it was a C. I was surprised because I thought it deserved better, but then realized he was giving me a break because a higher grade would cost me more. It has a gorgeous contrast stain and a cumberland stem decorated with 2 different kinds of woods, all for around $200, a way more than fair price. I was looking forward to his next visit but he unfortunately passed away before then.

This is is not mine but looks a lot like it.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
I didn't know Bjarne carved. I remember he said he spent a huge number of days in the year on the road doing his trunk shows. I bought my one and only Bjarne Nielsen high grade from him personally at my local B&M, a beautiful squat bulldog carved, he said, by Vigen. The pipe lacked a grade stamp and he told me he didn't know why, but that it was a C. I was surprised because I thought it deserved better, but then realized he was giving me a break because a higher grade would cost me more. It has a gorgeous contrast stain and a cumberland stem decorated with 2 different kinds of woods, all for around $200, a way more than fair price. I was looking forward to his next visit but he unfortunately passed away before then.

This is is not mine but looks a lot like it.
View attachment 6092
I'm looking at my first Bjarne (a volcano), but now I'm going to be on the hunt for a squat bulldog because that's a gorgeous pipe!

Reactions: mingc

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I have a couple of Bjarne pipes and they smoke great, are finished great, and have been durable. I've never understood why his pipes don't bring more of a premium price -- they're worth a lot more than their cost in my experience.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I have a couple of Bjarne pipes and they smoke great, are finished great, and have been durable. I've never understood why his pipes don't bring more of a premium price -- they're worth a lot more than their cost in my experience.
same with Georg Jensen... just kind of unknowns in the US.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
He died in 2008, and at this point his company has made more pipes since after his death than when he was still alive. So, there is no illusion that he has made each and every one by hand. This may play a lot into how the market sees his pipes.
Definitely makes it harder to figure out how much the pipes are worth. From what I've read many of the lower grade pipes were just stamped "Bjarne" and were made by carvers like Mogens Johansen (Johs). There are two of them in the group of estate pipes I'm cleaning and selling and they both look like some of the Johs pipes I've seen.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I just have a free hand stamped "Bjarne", but it is excellently engineered and smokes very well. Beautiful wood and style. It's a big one with a big bowl though.

Status
Not open for further replies.