PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
I tried an English blend last night and since then I only get bitter/unpleasant taste with my aromatics. Has anyone experienced such a thing before?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It sounds like you ghosted your pipe with the English blend which is screwing with the flavors of your aromatics. This is why many of us dedicate our pipes to either certain genres of tobacco or specific blends. I have my Va, Vaper and Vabur flake and plug pipes and I also have some aromatic pipes.

I don't smoke English blends anymore but if I did I would dedicate pipes to them. Try smoking your aromatics out of a different pipe to see if that is the issue.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
I have separate pipes for english and aromatic, and I smoked different blends in different pipes since last night

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
The english was Northwoods (Boswell) and aromatics: No bite delite (boswell) and captain cool (McClelland)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I associate bad aftertaste with aromatics especially. When I went to mostly non-aromatics, aftertaste and bite were greatly reduced or eliminated, depending on the blend, and there have been few problems with English blends.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Virginia only; Virginia-Perique; and Virginia-Burley. Somewhere in the forums, Harris produced a list, which is a valuable compilation of blends to explore.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I'd diffidently suggest not smoking different genres back to back. I'm highly theorising here, but I'm thinking whether the chemical remains of the English blended with the chemicals in the aro and yielded a bitter tasting compound.
I say 'diffidently' because I am a one bowl per day bloke. By next day any aftertaste is gone and haven't noticed any bitterness.
You might also try washing your mouth between changes of genre if you're decided to smoke a variety on the same day, or drink/eat something that will wash away the remnants of the previous smoke.

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
I think many aromatic blends are Virginia-Burley, aren't they? and you suggest not to use the same pipe with cavendish?

jason64

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2012
@Olkofri I smoke part of three different bowls each day, and constantly wash my mouth, brush etc. not sure what happened this time

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Aros appear to be a, er, well, blend of virginia, black cavendish (which is burley-based, except for MacBaren's 'modern cavendish' which is VA-based), and, yes, burley, plus casings and toppings. Some aros also have latakia.
There's also the chance that it might have been something else: something you ate, weather, what have you.
I'd switch to a different blend or blends, and chug on.

Status
Not open for further replies.