PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
As my technique improves, I find myself returning to blends that used to burn me, that now provide a cool, flavorful smoke. I also have some that I cannot smoke successfully, no matter how careful I am. I'm looking at you, Stanwell Fruit and Vanilla!
I understand that, with proper technique, at least in theory, any tobacco blend can be smoked successfully. In theory, not necessarily in practice.
Do any of you have a blend or blends that seem to just ALWAYS bite, no matter how careful you are?
Or is it just me, 'cause I suck?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sip, don't suck. Some blends just bite. Mac Baren products are famous for that. Some of the bite can be reduced by letting the blend age for a couple of years. Smoking Virginias will school you in technique as they can incinerate a pipe in a nanosecond when smoked too quickly. But specific blends? Nope.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
McB blends seem to bite me regardless of smoking pace, the HH range aren't a problem. I also find certain burley blends very rough at the back of my throat

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
When trying out any new blend or one I cannot quite smoke successfully, I switch to one of my smaller pipes and after lighting, turn the lip of the pipe perpendicular to the front of my mouth and sip in air along with the smoke from the pipe.
I'm new to the hobby, so maybe this is old news/technique. It looks a bit goofy perhaps, but it's been extremely helpful to keep from choking down a mix that doesn't suit me or discovering new flavors from old favorites.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Anything made hy Borkum Riff or Paladin Black Cherry. Been trying to tame those beasts for a quarter of a century to no avail!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Aromatics tend to have that effect on me, and I attribute it to the flavoring burning and creating non-tobacco chemicals, and the extra moisture that most aromatics carry. Aromatics attract new smokers because they are thought of as milder and they have familiar flavors that people like, vanilla and caramel, etc. So imagine my surprise when I tried a full-strength non-aromatic blend like Big'nBurley (C&D). It has full strength flavor, and full strength nicotine, but I find it gentler than many "beginner" aromatics over-all. Less bite, less harshness, less aftertaste. It seemed like a wild contradiction. At first, I thought it must be a beverage that was cutting the effect, or food I'd eaten before I smoked. But after a number of bowls, over time, I realized it was burning the flavorings that was causing some of the unpleasant side effects. I don't know if this is true for others, but certainly for me. I find this is true for most non-aromatics from Semois to Billy Budd to P&C Chestnut.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Anything by McClelland or Hearth and Home bites the heck out of me. Not sure why, especially since I used to smoke a lot of McClelland but there you go. The only Mac Baren blends that do not bite are their Navy Flake and HH Vintage series. Everything else they make I might as well take a knife to the tongue.

homewaters

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2014
For me, burley is the culprit. The only blends I have found I can smoke without getting burned are Solani Aged Burley Flake and C&D Burley Flake no.3. I still have some other burley blends in my cabinet but I have to be extra careful when I smoke them. I also have no problem smoking straight virginias so I guess the issue is very personal. Like some other have said on here, I believe it has to do with the PH of the smoke vs the PH of your own body. You might be getting burned because the tobacco you smoke is too humid. Before you give up, I would try experimenting with the humidity level...

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
McB blends seem to bite me regardless of smoking pace, the HH range aren't a problem. I also find certain burley blends very rough at the back of my throat
This is exactly my situation, too. Would like to smoke an occasional Plumcake or Scottish Blend bowl, but just can't. I can feel the MacBee sting from the very first puffs. HH blends give no trouble at all.

pablohoney

Lurker
Jun 18, 2015
I've had outstanding luck with most Drew Estate blends, but for some reason, Harvest on the Hudson turns in to molten lava every time.
Even in a meerschaum pipe with a Vauen 9mm charcoal filter.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
Newminster (52) Ultimate English. I've even tried blending it with Prince Albert and Carter Hall, and it still bites me badly.
It's strange because Newminster (17) English Luxus is my all day, every day favorite.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I stay far, far away from the McB's. They rip my mouth and tongue like a jackhammer. No matter how slowly I puff, it's the same old furnace.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Esoterica Dunbar. I have a bag that's probably 10yrs old or so. It is delicious except that it scorches my tongue every time. I'm thinking that the aging has produced more sugar which in turn is like coating your tongue in molten caramel.
But who knows?

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Mac Baren products are famous for that.
Amen, brush.
I could not wait to smoke of their Vanilla Cream after reading some reviews on it. Open mouth - insert flame thrower. :cry:
I cellard it with hopes it mellows. This has helped in the past on some aromatics that bit me bad when they were fresh, and a little drying time did not help.
It may be the PH thing, I will know for sure when I dig it out this fall and try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.