PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Historically, there have been three common styles for pipe bits:
* the wedge (a wide opening -- by far, the most common modern style)

* the steck (what everyone here calls a P-lip, due to its shape and the fact that Peterson uses them commonly)

* the orific (a single round hole)
Judging from the books in my collection, all of these bits used to be commonly available on pipes. But they certainly aren't now. So I'm curious: Does anyone have any pipes with a steck bit that aren't Peterson pipes. . . or any pipes with an orific bit that aren't meerschaums? I don't think I've ever seen either case.
Bob

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
The Dr. Grabow Omegas use the P-Lip. I also have a Wellington that has a military bit that has the P-Lip as well.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
There was also the two hole or double bore that were common on Trypis, Radice, and a few older Orlik pipes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Britannia smooth slightly bent Dublin with a double bore. I groaned when I saw it, but it has turned

out to be fine. Both airways pass a pipe cleaner all the way to the bowl and don't hold behind any fluff, so

it's fine. I've never heard the term wedge, but have mostly seen the most common bit called a fishtail. I have

only one P-Lip, on a Peterson Killarney 999 Rhodesian; I enjoy it, but stick with fishtails otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.