PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I have not seen much discussion about preferred sizes and shapes of your bits.
I tend to like thin bits that are not much wider, if at all, than the stem width.
In general, do you care? If so, is it about aesthetics, or is is your preference based on something else, like, say, how hard you clench?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I prefer a wider than average bit, and an average button height. They just sit in my teeth better for some reason.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
I prefer larger, wide bits. When buying a corn cob, I'll pick up a couple of vulcanized freehand bits, because the standard ones just don't work well for me; one of the (several) reasons I favor the freehand corn cobs.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
+1 Jeffery.

I put a freehand bit on my bent Mark Twain, and it made it a better smoking pipe as I don't like the plastic stems that come with the pipes. Only thing, I had to file and sand the bit down a little to make it more comfortable for me, but hey, only $8, can't be beat for the price!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I prefer slightly wider bits with the slot cut, and fishtails. I have one P-Lip that I enjoy as a change of pace, but that's enough. However, I'm not fussy. The narrower bits are okay, just not preferred. I still can't decide whether I like vulcanite better than acryic/lucite. I definitely like the non-oxidation feature of acrylic, but I appreciate the softer feel of vulcanite, but not so it ever prejudices the case against acrylic. I like a tangible button, but don't get annoyed about smaller ones. I'm fairly adaptable. I've never bought a pipe and said, I like the pipe, but the bit is insufferable. It would have to be extravagantly bad.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I prefer narrower and thinner acrylic bits, more comfortable to clench, and acrylic is more teeth mark resistant and don't oxidise.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
I've never bought a pipe and said, I like the pipe, but the bit is insufferable. It would have to be extravagantly bad.
Not insufferable, but I havea BC that I wish has a thinner bit. I don't smoke it much. I'm gonna go get it now and fire it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.