PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmkiefer

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Ontonagon, MI
Is anyone familiar with this blend by Uhle Tobacco Co in Milwaukee? Here's the tin description:

"Finest long-cut blend of tobaccos we manufacture. The base is Monopoly Turkish plus Golden Virginia, Syrian Latakia, and a wee bit of Perique."

What would you call this? A Balkan? English? I've been trying this blend for little while now and, while interesting I can't quite wrap my (inexperienced) palette around it. The jury is still out as to whether I like it or not.
I've spent the last 25 years smoking aromatics and since I've joined this most excellent forum, I've taken the dive into the wonderful world of non-aro's. I've enjoyed several, but like I said I can't figure this one out. Maybe too complicated a blend for me at his point?
Thanks,

Chris

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
Keep smoking it! Its a fantastic blend, one of Uhle's best. I might suggest smoking it fairly steady over the course of several days, then take a long break from it. At least a week or more, then return to it and see what you experience. I've done this to other blends I couldn't get a handle on and its a pretty good way to get some experience with the blend, both as a daily smoke and then after the break to return to it like it was a first time taste.

cmkiefer

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Ontonagon, MI
Here's Uhles website;

www.uhles.com/Uhle_blends_out_of_state.htm

There is also a link on this page to tobacco reviews.com which has a more in depth description.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm ordering some this week. A seller on ebay sent me a sample with a pipe I bought and it's become one of my all-time favorite English blends. Yummy, savory stuff -- fragrant and smokey, but without being sweet. I think there's some plain white burley in the blend, which makes it cool burning and dry without the potential bite you'd get with more VA's in the blend.
1.5oz is only $6.75. The next step up is 7oz, but they used to only do email or phone, so they'd probably do 2 or 4 oz if that's what you want.
Link: http://www.uhles.com/Uhle_blends_out_of_state.htm

cmkiefer

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Ontonagon, MI
Just an update:

I'm really getting into this blend. At first I think my taster was too immature, but I'm glad I've stuck with it. Bishop's Move is now my go-to blend with Raiders Blend a close second when I want a mild aro. Heading to a local (sort of) shop that carries Uhle's today. Hopefully I can restock and maybe try some others.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yep, I just ordered some Bishop's Move, today (plus Perfection Plug and Blend 00, neither of which I've had). As I said earlier, Bishop's Move is just about the top of my latakia blend list.
To me, Bishop's Move just tastes wonderful and tangy. It's sort of "dry" (i.e., not sweet) in a way that seems to me unique. I believe it has a portion of burley in the base tobaccos that probably cuts the sort of sweetness you get from more heavily VA-based blends. For me, that makes the blend that much more smooth and easy to smoke. Cooler burning, too.
Also, I'm wondering if other members had tried ordering off of the new Uhle's website before. For some reason the Bishop's move PayPal button doesn't work. Every other tobacco seems to work fine --- puts it right in your cart. I emailed them about it a couple of weeks ago, and they responded initially, but never wrote back about my order,nor did they fix the PayPal function for their most famous blend. When I ordered today, I just called them on the phone. Very friendly folks -- and by all accounts they're always good to deal with.

cmkiefer

Lurker
Sep 7, 2012
Ontonagon, MI
Being from Michigan, I can't order directly from them for some reason. I had my last order sent to my son out of state and I picked it up from him later. The only outlet for Uhle's in MI is Bookworld, which is spotty at best. Went there today (100 miles round trip) to refresh my supply, and guess what, no Bishop's. I was able to pick up some Raider's Blend, which I like too. Fortunately, we had other business in the area.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Being from Michigan, I can't order directly from them for some reason. I had my last order sent to my son out of state and I picked it up from him later.
Wow, that's really strange. I knew taxes on orders from within WI were higher, but I didn't know they don't ship to MI.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
There's some of that in the box pass. I took some, have smoked one bowl, so far, and wasn't that impressed. Not that it's bad - just don't think it's my cuppa. I'll smoke the rest, though, to see. And if they don't ship to Michigan, I won't worry about getting more even if I like it. Lotsa good blends out there.

johnnyxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2011
I've smoked this blend before it was my first English blend got it from Bookworld in Marquette, Mi with my first pipe years ago. I would like to get some more to try it again.

ryepipe

Lurker
Aug 31, 2010
One of my go to's. Smokes great in nearly any pipe, even cobs...or especially cobs...or

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Mine arrived in the mail, today. Smells great! Haven't smoked it in months, but very excited to try it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.