PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I wasn't really looking for a Dunhill birth year pipe, as my taste in Dunhill shapes and my 1961 birth year add up to an expensive pipe. This 1961 Group 4 Shell pipe showed up on eBay last week and I was fortunate to win an early Sunday auction.
The pipe only required a mild clean up. The seller had not disclosed that the pipe was a filter pipe, but someone had fitted an adaptor, which works fine. The seller offered to refund part of the purchase due to the listing error, so that was a win.
My birthday is on Monday, so that was good timing. The wife absconded with the pipe, but I'll enjoy it on Monday.
I wrote a Reborn Pipes blog on the pipe, viewable here

http://rebornpipes.com/2015/08/01/birth-year-dunhill-1961-shape-120-shell/
dunhill_120_shell_1961_gallery.jpg

dunhill_120_shell_1961-4.jpg

dunhill_120_shell_1961-7.jpg

dunhill_120_shell_1961-9.jpg

May 31, 2012
:clap:

Major congrats!
You got a good one,

love that tight undulating grain groove!
And a 120?
Top score!
Total champion!
Smoke thee well.

:puffy:

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Al, congratulations on a corker!
It's a good thing you're so old, I allows you to source Shells from back in the day when the blaster knew what they were doing. :nana:
Congrats on a nice score, pal; many happy returns.
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks guys. I really had no illusions that I would find a birthyear pipe in a shape I desired and in my budget, so this one made me smile, particularly after the week we've had here.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Really nice! I think the older Dunhill shells have a much better blast than the current ones.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
NIce one Al. Not only your birth year, but outstanding blast on that Dunnie too! Congrats, and apologies for implying you're old in another post. Shoot, I've got a daughter your age, so you must actually be young! :wink:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@snatstangl - my list has dwindled. Now, I would aim to pick up better finish/grade or condition pipes and replace existing pieces.
@Orley - Lets just say that I'm "young at heart"....

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Good on you!
My white whale is a birthyear (1960) Dunhill bent bulldog. Always on the hunt.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Congratulations, Al, that is a very nice blast. Unlike Barling's, Dunhill seems to have had a supply of Algerian briar at least until the mid-1960s, at least as Loring's catalog records have it.
Also, you are fortunate to have gotten the original stem. I have noticed that several of that seller's Dunhills appear to have replacement stems.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've smoked it about five times and it smoke quite well. It easily passes a cleaner, which is nice. The filter adpator, that came with the pipe was a bit crude (I reshaped it) but it works well and the draft is just right. I certainly wouldn't want it any larger, this one is just right.

manofkent

Lurker
Jul 1, 2013
Congratulations! One of my favourite pipes is a 120 which must predate 1960 and is especially favoured as it was once my father's.

Status
Not open for further replies.