PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
It's my birthday today so I feel empowered to give a rant and rave, well just because.
Rant:
Vulcanite Stems
I'm done with it except for my one and future Dunhills. They are just too much of a pain in the a** to clean. Many Italian pipe makers and even American carvers (Mark Tinsky) don't feel the need to use it. I can't tell a big difference on my teeth. If I'm clenching, I'll use a rubber bit. The rubber bits are easier on the teeth than vulcanite. I'll smoke a Dunhills on special occasions (e.g. weddings) and afterwards oil up the stem and place it back on the rack for a while. Other than that,long live acrylic.
Rave
Winslow Pipes
I bought what was for me a rather inexpensive pipe. It was a Winslow partially rusticated apple (viking), looks like a lovat. Set me back like $110-$125. The pipe has smoked sooooo good from day one. Always a cool smoke with a wonderful flavor and it looks good. Nice big bowl, which I like.
Well, that's it for me, but today it's all about me.
Happy 4th to everyone tomorrow.

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
Keep on ranting and raving, it's Your Birthday...Happy Birthday!!!
birthday.gif

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
I have one pipe that has a vulcanite stem and a MM with their cheapo acrylic. The acrylic one is all chewed up and looks like hell after only a few months, but the vulcanite has minimal wear so far. Based on that, I prefer the vulcanite. I've only wiped them down with high alcohol spirits, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.
I do have a vulcanite Forever Stem on order and can't wait to try that out on my cob.
Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Happy Birthday!! Everyone should get to rant and rave on their birthday!
I generally like the feel of vulcanite better than lucite in my mouth, but I like the looks of the lucite better, and I agree, keeping up vulcanite stems is a pain in the butt!
I'm not familiar with Winslow pipes, but I'll take a look, but hope you continue to enjoy yours. Have a great today, and 4th too!

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Happy Birthday! Rookie question: How can I tell if my pipe has a vulcanite or lucite stem? I know the default stems on my MM cobs are softer than the hard rock one on my Nording Horn. My Butz Choquin is firmer than the cobs, but softer than the Nording. I know I've had to take a mild green Scotchbrite to it to clean it before...

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I use Obsidian Oil on all my vulcanite stems after I smoke, and have had little if any oxidation since. It won't get rid of previous oxidation, but I can testify that it works well as a preventative.

Happy birthday!!

But, I am baffled by the frustration with vulcanite. I rarely have to do much with my stems and I live in the land of 100% humidity and scorching hot sun. Once a year, I will buff our my pipes, including the stems, but other than that I don't do much to them.

As for Tinsky (of which I have been learning bunches about these last few days) he doesn't makes his stems. They are inject molded by some other company, as most of his other process are also. Ugg, hardly an artisan. I put him in the Nording camp of mass produced cheapos.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Happy birthday. Funny you should bring up this topic- I've recently been thinking along the same lines. I'm not a pipe "tinkerer". And frankly I just don't have time. My rubber stems are getting ugly. But my plastic stems don't have the same mouthfeel. What to do.....

Status
Not open for further replies.