PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I'm 47 years old. For some damn reason I feel a real strong compulsion to get a pipe that was made in the year I was born. I'm thinking a Dunhill, Poker to be exact. Don't know why, but I feel the strong urge to smoke out of a briar that's as old as me. Anyone else feel this? Am I the only one? I've had this urge with cars before, and briars are a whole lot cheaper!! :wink:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I have a 1943 Dunhill ODA Root Briar my birth year it's a pleasure to have something that doesn't complain about High Blood pressure, Arthritis , Erectile dysfunction, and whatever ails us old Farts have. LOL

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I have a birth year Dunhill. I honestly never had a strong desire for a birth year and yet, at the same time, when mine came up, it was kismet. It just happened to be in my favorite shape, in near mint condition and I was able to get it for a very good price.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Well said Guys!

I guess I'll start hunting for one. Like the Old Cajun said " it's a pleasure to have something that doesn't complain about High Blood pressure, Arthritis , Erectile dysfunction, and whatever ails us old Farts have. LOL"

My feelings exactly!

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I was like six never thought about it much and then when Samcoffeeman had a 68 Dunhill come up I had to have it for some reason. I got it and am glad I did. Not only does it enhance the experience it is one of my best smokers!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Another benefit of being young, our birth pipes tend to be cheaper than you older fellers (in the case of a vintage pipe such as Dunhill, Peterson or Barling), lol.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Not quite sure why the idea has such appeal, but I've got a couple of eBay searches active - one for birth year Dunhills, one for any other brand, and one for Kirstens, too - not limited to my birth year on that one.
They don't come up often, but I keep my eyes open just in case. And I might actually have the cash to bid on one if it comes up in the next couple of months...

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Same here. I would like to purchase a 1958 somtime within the next year. I'm in no hurry but do think it would be cool to smoke a Dunhill birthyear with some of my Dunhill tobacco

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
At one time I had a real hankering to get my birth year(1957) Dunhill. I saw one show up on ebay one day in a shape I like and it was in real good shape. The price was 300.00 which is well within my price threshold, but I passed. I am not a fan of Dunhill pipes and I thought to myself, why go after it just to say I have a birth year Dunny. I would much rather smoke a Rad or a Ruthenberg or plenty of American artisan pipes. I am glad I did not buy that pipe and now I have completely stopped looking for one. One day I may get the urge again but for now, I am done looking.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I continue to hunt for the 1960 Dunhill bulldog that WILL BE MINE.
something about a birth year pipe. . . .

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Like Harris, I've pretty much abandoned the idea. But, it is pretty standard among pipe smokers. Castello also dates their smooth pipes, after a certain year. While I love British made pipes, I'm not that taken with Dunhills. I favor the Bulldog/Rhodesian shape and those are just at too dear price points. Perhaps one day I'll luck into a 1961 in a shape I enjoy at a decent price. I'll probably meet Santa Claus that day as well.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I continue to hunt for the 1960 Dunhill bulldog that WILL BE MINE.
something about a birth year pipe. . . .
Not unless I beat you to it! Pick another shape, will ya! :)

theboz

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2013
United States
I happen to have gotten one in my latest antique store purchase, it is marked Christmas 1990 the 1 is faint but its definitely there. My goal is still to get a Savinelli Collection 1990.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
@layinpipe, in that regard us younger guys got it good. I've half-heartedly looked for one in my year (1985) but haven't found any. Not a big concern, but it would be cool to have one ... but it'd have to suit my taste in shape and grain.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
"A Dunhill birth year pipe or a red convertible and a mistress? Decisions . . . decisions . . "
Yea Peck, I've thought about all 3 at times, but the 1967 Dunhill would be the most economical!! LOL

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't have a birth year pipe nor have I been looking for one. Never really thought about it. I do have a Wally Frank Oom Paul from the late 70's, so its possible that one might qualify, but I have no way of dating it so I guess I'll never know. Its a shame there isn't more information on Wally Frank pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.