PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Today I received and smoked some Billy Budd for the first time in about a year.

I had forgotten how good this blend was. Just the right amount of cigar leaf to spice things up in this blend.

Its been on sale at Smoking Pipes.com 25% off so bought a pound and I'm happy.

Any other fans of BB out there? How about other cigar leaf favorites? :D

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Honestly, I have never cared for cigar leaf blends at all... until I smoked Billy Bud.
Definitely has the right amount of robust flavor and is very enjoyable. Although I usually like to keep cigar and pipe leaf separate, this one is always a welcome change of pace.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I smoke some every week. It is one of my very favorites.
Other cigar leaf blends I enjoy are G. L. Pease's Key Largo and Robusto, L. J. Peretti's Cuban Mixture and Blend 500, Hearth and Home's Stogie.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
Billy Budd is top notch and you can get it by the pound so that is a plus.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
The book's great. 'Farewell to you, ye Rights of Man!' Classic Melville.
The only cigar leaf blend I've smoked significantly is an old tin of GL Pease Robusto. It's really good, but not something I reach for often. Someday I'll get a sample of Billy Budd.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
+1 on the GLP Key Largo ...it's a complex, creamy smoke.
Also, you should try an AJ Fernandez "Spectre" cigar.

It's a quality Nicaraguan cigar with a Maduro wrapper and has Latakia blended into the filler.

There are enormous amounts of flavor in these sticks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Billy Budd is one of Cornell & Diehl's brilliant burley blends. Who would think that burley, cigar, Latakia and Virginia would

come together with so much vigor, but C&D really did it. Sometimes you just have to pack a bowl.
I keep meaning to try the McClellands cigar blend, Dominican Glory Manduro. I think it comes in broken leaf, but I wish it

came as a plug. I keep almost ordering a tin to try. Has anyone tried that one, while we're on cigar blends?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Smoking some right now as a matter of fact...superb blend...plenty of vit N too.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Billy Bud? Sounds like a MJ thing!

LOL! No this was a Sailor Man Jack's (RIP) thing. He was a well known pipe guy and prolific ASP board poster back in the day. I found it hot and harsh. I've never found a cigar blend even close to smoking a cigar but I do enjoy Compton's Cuban Style Mixture and aged GLP's Key Largo. 8O

tacoman

Lurker
May 16, 2011
Another take on this is Jack's Shanty from the New York Pipe Club. It's made from Sailorman Jack's own recipe and it's excellent.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sparks, thanks for the rundown on McClellands Dominican Glory Manduro. I think I am drawn by the

orange tin with the gilt whale graphics, one of the best pieces of tin arts to me. I think Billy Budd has it

right and is hard to beat in the cigar tobacco blend category. C&D has done the magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.