PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Ok I mostly smoke aromatics but today I had a bowl of Dunhill Night Cap while getting the mail, yay a huge order of baccy comes in so I finish the nightcap and load a bowl Billy Bud. To my surprise the tastes are VERY similar to me with the Billy bud having a bit of a sweeter taste with a hint of cigar flavor and aroma. Does this sound accurate? Or is it just the latikia talking...

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
They have similar tastes but also quite different. Very heavy stout blends, but in time you'll see the differences. Billy Budd is stronger than Nightcap in my opinion, it's one of the few blends that gives me the niccups.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
They are very different profiles for me.
Nightcap has a pretty good dose of Perique and Turkish where Billy Budd is more Burley / Cigar leaf.
They both have a healthy amount of Latakia but that's where the likeness ends, for me.
As Andy said, in time you will see the difference.

jparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 22, 2014
Coke and Pepsi, both brown, both fizzy - taste? Totally different. :) Neither have latakia so that may be why... :rofl:

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
You may have inherited a tiny bit of Nightcap ghost - that Lat with Perique flavor is quite strong, if not necessarily delicious.
I tried Billy Bud and loved the tobacco flavor - Latakia was clearly there, but not dominating. Nicely balanced. I think I'll buy some more this year.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
yeah I thought there might be some ghosting, Id try it again but Im still reeling from the nicotine of the nightcap,billybud back to back...

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Yeah that nic hit will get you with both. I can't say that I find them to be incredibly similar except in strength, though I've been toying with the idea of giving Billy Budd another go. May just have to if only to justify my opinion in this thread.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
They're both big robust blends with a lot going on, but Billy Budd has some burley and cigar leaf, whereas Nightcap is an English/Scottish blend. They're big commanding blends, but if you smoke them in rotation, you'll begin to discover the differences, and after a while, you won't find them much alike at all, I don't think. I like them both, but they're two different "moods."

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Well I got some Habana Daydream coming around next so Im curious to see how it compares to Billy Bud as well. I dont mind the strength of Nightcap taste-wise its just so different from what im used to, kinda like black licorice when your used to bubblegum if that makes any sense.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
ltstone:
That's just one of the things I love about this hobby. Our flavor profiles might be polar opposites but we'll always agree that Tony Bennett was a better saloon singer than Mr. Sinatra and Sean Connery made a better Bond than Daniel Craig.
Nightcap is my daily bread. Yet if somebody offered me Billy Budd as my stranded for life, island smoke I'd lay my pipes aside and ask for many boxes of cigars instead.
Smoke on, pal.
Fnord

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I didn't find that Billy Budd tasted similar at all. Actually I didn't care for it.
Here is the review that I did on it:

C&D Billy Budd - Pipe Tobacco Review
While it wasn't a bad blend and I didn't hate it, I would not smoke it again because there are just way too many other blends out there that I enjoy immensely more. But if you read the comments after the review, Kevin had a totally different experience with it than I did.
Tastes are very subjective. I find it simply amazing how different people have such very different experiences with the same blend.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think if you smoke anything immediately after a bowl of Nightcap, especially in the same pipe, it will taste a lot like Nightcap. NC has some powerful juju in the taste department.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Billy Budd is great, I smoke it often. Not a huge fan of Nightcap, it's ok, but there are other blends I'd rather smoke.
I also tried Habana Daydream and didn't care for it at all. Billy Budd is king for cigar leaf blends for me.

Another one to try, if ypu like Billy Budd is GLP's Key Largo. But, BB and NC don't taste the same to me, but when I first tried latakia, it probably would have. Heck, my favorites are the Virginias, but it took quite a while before I could differentiate between those also. Keep trying new latakias, and eventually, you'll be able to taste the subtle differences the orientals and other leafs add, plus they change the way the latakia tastes also.
Good post!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
To me if a blend has enough Lat for it to be noticed, it becomes the predominant flavor. In which case I default to Nightcap. It's the only English in my rotation because it's the mackdaddy.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Keylargo, ok Ill mark that one down, How about Purple Cow? Any opinions? Yeah I need to add a few Virginia's to expand my horizons. I only have Elizabethan Match at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.