PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To me, the billiard shape is the simplest pipe, the most basic in design, the easiest to smoke. An interesting aspect of the billiard is that, because of its rudimentary shape, it finds a vast and nuanced variety. Little tweaks to its standard and traditional design make it almost infinite in its variety while still being a billiard. The balance between shank and stem length, size of bowl, finishes, size of chamber, and thickness of walls of the bowl, and embellishments or lack of them, make each one surprising, often in a quiet but decisive way. Go from a tapered to a saddle stem, and the whole pipe changes. I enjoy and revel in a wide variety of shapes, but billiards have a kind of magnetism beyond that of other shapes. I'd be stretching to say it is my categorical favorite, maybe in my top three or four, but of those it is mysterious in its subtle shape changing allure. Having to choose my favorite billiard among my many ... impossible.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I agree. My first briar was a straight billiard and after a short detour into the bent pipes world I find myself loving the wide variety of straight billiards I've amassed. Like you, they're not my clear favorite but they are definitely in the top 5 favorite shapes for me. There is a classic feel to them and yet there are so many little tweaks that can make them feel completely different.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I have pretty much pared my pipe collection down to a few fine straight billiards. By far my favorite. A well executed billiard is the most beautiful shape to me. A petite Calabash would be second.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Yup. I came into pipes hating "boring" straight pipes, and now I see the billiard, done right, as the ultimate paradigm-setting shape, perfect in proportion and function.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
...and now I see the billiard, done right, as the ultimate paradigm-setting shape...
And doing them right BY HAND is so difficult that more aspiring carvers have died attempting to shape one than from all other causes combined. Accidents, disease, you name it. Chasing a perfect billiard is a hazardous business.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've heard from a few carvers that mastering a billiard is very difficult.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"Er, Amadeus, it has..... It has..... Too many, uh, notes."
"No, Sire, it has exactly the number of notes it needs."
It has exactly the amount of briar needed to make a wonderful pipe. Or something like that.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Yes sir there’s nothing more elegant than a perfect Billiard!

banjo
From the 70’s is this Meerschaum Billiard with silver military mount and cultured amber stem by Andreas Bauer.
47548418801_2a187e081f_z_d.jpg

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
A good billiard is like a good pair of men’s dress leather shoes. They work, they perform, and they last. Sure we all want to look at the Trendy shoes, maybe even purchase some interesting pairs, only to find out later that they end up at Goodwill. When we start we tend to ignore the billiard and go for the wild pipes. And then after a few years of pipe smoking we realize a good billiard is perfect in its own right.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am a big fan of billiards and always have been. I have more billiards than any other shape in my collection. Shape wise this 1966 Dunhill LB is one of my favorites.

dunhill4-600x450.jpg

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
And then after a few years of pipe smoking we realize a good billiard is perfect in its own right.
Going on thirty years and this remains the only one. I do have a strawberry Weaver magnum billiard but it's never getting smoked.
004-009-7492.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Embers, if you're only going to smoke one billiard, that's a great one. You could write your own hymn of praise to your Dublins. Dublins are right up there with billiards for me.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I really don't know why they never took. It's an iconic shape. Then again, straight pipes never really struck a cord with me. Most of my collection throughout the years have been 1/8-1/4 bent.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I give equal billing to bent billiards. One of my treasures is a Ferndown given to me by a Forums member.

Status
Not open for further replies.