PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaindave

Lurker
Apr 30, 2016
Hello. I'm brand new to pipe smoking, so be gentle. :puffy: I'm just wondering if a Dr. Grabow Savoy would be considered to be a billiard type pipe.?

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
depends

Unless I misremember, the Savoy is available in several shapes

mindglue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2016
Hello,

Two new smokers can do some magic :) , look a pipe description from this link: http://www.tobaccopipes.com/dr-grabow-savoy-smooth-tobacco-pipe/

Looks like its a bent billiard

plaindave

Lurker
Apr 30, 2016
Hey thanks, guys! I've been "studying" about pipes in the past 3 hours, and I've learned that it is a bent billiard. :puffy: Now I'd like to know what degree of angles are the bends, i.e. 1/4 bent, 1/2 bent, etc. Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think descriptions of partial bends in pipes are estimates since they can be done in virtually infinite degrees. I guess the most fully bent is an Oom-Paul, or something like that. Many "bent" pipes have only the slightest bend, a minor curvature, but are still technically bent.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Savoy is a 1/2 bend. Here's an example of a 1/4 bend.
https://m.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=186676

plaindave

Lurker
Apr 30, 2016
Hey, again thanks! That's good info. :puffy: I think I'm already addicted. I have a Dr. Grabow Savoy smooth coming in tomorrow's mail. I guess that'll have to do until I can afford a nice one. haha

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The two Dr. G. Savoys shown at tobaccopipes.com appear to be, and are listed as, billiards:
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/dr-grabow-savoy-tobacco-pipe-rustic/
This is the rustic and there is also a smooth, at the same price.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
oops, I guess I was very wrong. I thought that Savoy was just referring to the finish

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't be too modest about your Dr. Grabow. They are one of the grand old U.S. factory pipes, still made with considerable pride and quality in Sparta, N.C. I've spent a few more bucks to get the acrylic stem on the Royalton series, but I think the plastic stems are highly serviceable. Take your time building your rotation of pipes. You want pipes that will continue to please you, since they can last a lifetime. I have the first pipe I bought from Tinder Box, a St. Ives House pipe, about forty years ago. Quite a few Forums members still own their first pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.