PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
First of all, this pipe is "Not For Sale"!
I was working on trying to make a Devil Anse pipe but didn't look at a picture before I started and didn't even get close. It turned into a Billiard Nosewarmer. But still is a decent looking pipe. The briar however had a couple pretty bad flaws. One being inside the bowl and so it's now a shop pipe.
I filled the flaw in with grout mixture and smoothed it over. I've fixed bowls like this before, but it doesn't mean it will work this time. The pipe may last 10 minutes or 10 years.
The drilling is dead on and it should smoke well, for as long as it lasts. While I did open the airway like I always do but since it's a shop pipe, I didn't worry too much about getting the stem completely smooth on the outside and there are still a couple dings in it.
As said though it turned out to be decent looking so thought I'd post a picture of it here and see what you all thought.
DSC04238.jpg

DSC04236.jpg

DSC04239.jpg

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Yep, Dremel is what I used.
Well flyfishn, I would have rathered it turn out all good, but can't win them all. :)

vinvin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
That looks good! I love nosewarmers, if only I could find one that looks like that but in a smooth finish!

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I use grout mixture to raise the bottom of bowls when drilled too deep and also to repair partial burnouts. It works well and that is what I did with this pipe.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Thanks for the positive remarks my friends.
I do plan on making more nosewarmers in the future and maybe even some smooth finish if I find the right pieces of briar.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I had a Savinelli Punto D'Oro estate pipe with a crack at the mouthpiece. Rather than replace the vulcanite, I tried cutting off the cracked area and adding a rubber tip. It turned out to be a great nose warmer and a fine little smoker. My High School Spanish teacher once said, "never be limited by the obvious limitations." Thinking outside the box with these great old pipes can really pay off.

Status
Not open for further replies.