PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
If simply posting this video is in violation of the rule #6 against "Politics" please remove, and accept my apologies.
I'm posting up this video for educational purposes. It was a joy to watch and to hear the arguments on either side to really further my understanding of the contended points between the two sides.
It's a debate on intelligent design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI
I even went back and watched old episodes of Bill Nye the Science Guy on Youtube.com after the debate.

Should make for an interesting evening with a pipe if you ask me.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Thanks for posting!
I don't think these debates end up changing anybody's mind.

Most people are firmly in one camp or the other, cheer for their hero, and always think their hero "won".
For me, the most telling part of the debate was in question period, at 2:04:00.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
One camp will change its mind when presented with evidence. The other, not so much.....

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I enjoy a vigorous debate as much as anyone can, however I can see no purpose in debating "intelligent design ". One simply believes that the universe and all of existence that has existed or will ever exist; are governed by reproducible, sometimes as yet not fully understood laws, based on physics, chemistry, biology, geology etc. or.......you believe that some metaphysical concept had a hand in guiding the development of existence as we humans perceive it to be.
Metaphysical power relies on FAITH, scientific reasoning relies on provable, reproducible fact, the two concepts are not in any way shape or form debatable.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
If you want to see some really kickass debating, search Christopher Hitchens...
As far as the ridiculous arguments about evolution, here is an interview with Father George Coyne, the retired director the the vatican observatory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRnA4S8xrlY
Even a man who devoutly worked in one of the highest positions in the Catholic church doesn't believe in creationism. The problem is when people start interpreting their scriptures as literal fact. Instead of using them as a general guide to being a good person in life. If god created everything, why couldn't he have created evolution too?

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
In order to keep this thread from breaking any rules, I think you should keep the side that you agree with a secret.
Glad you guys enjoyed the debate. I will check out the other vide you guys linked to as soon as I have the time. :D

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
This is one of those subjects that neither side will convince the other of their views.
Some are strong in Faith while others accept what has been learned in the realm of science.
The two shall never agree.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
If the Bible is a literal story and the Earth was created in six days like it says, what scientific test could you have performed that would have determined everything was one week old? When Adam was one day old, was he a baby or full grown? When the first chicken was one day old, was it a chick, or an egg, or a fully grown chicken?
In other words, I have no problem with the evolutionists being right, and also the Bible being literal and the earth created in six days, evolutionists just overlook the possibility that we may not have started at one.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
As far as the ridiculous arguments about evolution, here is an interview with Father George Coyne, the retired director the the vatican observatory.
Latbomber, I was the Director of Photography on the documentary film, Religulous, that you linked a clip from in your post. We also shot an interview with Ken Hamm for that film. I'm curious what you thought if it, if you've seen the whole movie.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Very cool houndstooth! Yes I greatly enjoyed that movie and that particular interview. It is hard for anyone to not see the logic in what Coyne was saying, and its from a respectful position as well.
I just found the original clip of the movie with Hamm speaking between Coyne, should have posted that one for greater effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyu71k8QbaE

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'll have to re-watch this movie on Netflix today after work. I really enjoyed this movie.
And to hear that one of the guys who helped make it awesome is a pipe smoker and a member of this forum is kind of cool too. :)
I'm a sucker for Bill Maher, even though I don't agree with everything he says. Love to hear the guy talk.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
Spartan, I hope you enjoy it on the second viewing! If you watch carefully, you will see me in quite a few shots/scenes.

dixcreek

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
What either of them said is of little consequence. One believes as one believes for reasons that are not often clear to others. Instead of hammering the other mans way respect it and leave it alone. Your faith is as good as you are.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals.” Dr Martin Luther King
That says it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.