PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
So there's Deadpool, Batman vs Superman, Captain America: Civil War, Suicide Squad, X-men Apocalypse, X-men Gambit, Sinister Six (which will suck).

And don't forget on Netflix we get Daredevil season 2 (my favorite, obviously) and Luke Cage season 1.
My inner nerd tingles!
Discuss, discuss!

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Never got into D.C. and I gave been boycotting Marvel since 2009. Wouldn'the mind another Hell boy though.

gtclark

Oct 3, 2013
I thought we were talking about comic movies in the comedic sense...
***BEGIN RANT***
Not to rain on anybody's parade, but personally, I'm about over the superhero movie in its current form. I enjoyed Jessica Jones on Netflix last month, and still have an appetite for seeing the occasional well-written superhero depicted on screen, but the current Marvel format is getting old. There are ways to make superheroes relate-able and interesting, but the current cardboard cut-outs just aren't. An old trick to determine the strength of a fictional character is to describe the character without using physical characteristics (or in this case, powers). It can be done by relating back to the source material, but the characters as presented in the films are as flat and boring as they come. The mannequins on screen act as placeholders for the characters the fans know and love, and the studios rely on the fans to "fill in the blanks" while they shove the same old tired characters and dialogue into the same old over-the-top CG set pieces. No thanks.
***END RANT***

How many new "creations of Batman" will we have to suffer? I'm with you gtclark. Why not make a movie about something new? Make new superheroes. Yes yes, I had boxes of comicbooks as a kid, but these movies just don't interest me.

Like Star Wars or the Hobbit movies, they will throw together some swill waste of time and sell it on their merits established in previous years. People will line up to see these horrid creations, and because of competitive fandom (I'm a bigger fan than you because I will eat a dog turd if it has the Star Wars logo on it) it will get rave reviews and people will line up like the zombies they are and say they love it.
I think the whole Star Wars thing pissed me off. With braindead morons watching the same piece of crap movie I did running out of the theater saying, "Amazing." It was a made for TV quality reunion movie, no real action, no real fight scenes, no real acting, and even less thought put into it.
Competitive fandom drives me nuts. Sure, you can be a bigger fan than me, if that means that I have to eat a turd and say I liked it. You just go right ahead.
But, for the producers, they get rich without having to see any real expression of creativity.

foolwiththefez

Can't Leave
Sep 22, 2015
Sunny FL
I feel like there has to be a second Marvel movie that got left off your list. Don't they do two MCU movies every year? Also, doesn't the Preacher tv series come out this year and Legends of Tomorrow?
I'm most looking forward to Luke Cage, personally. I'm excited for a new Captain America, but less so by Civil War which was a story line I didn't care for.
As for "off the beaten track" properties, I'd be super excited for a "Goon" movie if the right creative team picked it up.

Mar 1, 2014
I'm most excited for Civil War, but the new Batman could be really good.

Ben Affleck actually looks more like the traditional rendering of "Bruce Wayne" than any actor to get the role since Adam West (they're the only Batman actors over 6' tall), and it might even be debatable which of those two has the best chin for the job.

Note that I say "Batman" could be really good. After that trailer it's fairly certain that "Batman vs. Superman" is basically happening in name only, we're probably going to get to see one or two punches. I could be wrong, but right now this movie has all the wrong kinds of anticipation.

If you want to enjoy that movie you need to put yourself into media blackout already, it feels like the trailer spilled just about everything.
It pains me to watch a Marvel property under FOX control, but I'll have to see Deadpool, now that I know he's the only comic book character based on breaking the fourth wall I know this is going to be something different.

I've pretty much stopped caring about anything X-men since... A long time ago.

It's going to take another decade of team building to equal the group of actors they had back then. People with "Captain Picard" on their resume aren't just drafted out of no-where. It's just a shame the industry was only set up to produce two decent movies out of it.
And that's why I have no hesitation watching practically anything Disney (Avengers) pushes out right now, compared to what we were getting in the 90's, sheesh, this stuff is gold. They have a solid team, they know it works and man alive once these people get tired enough to do something else we're going to miss them more than anything since the best pre-2000 classics.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Well true to Disney form, they will crank out as much as possible. Like it or not that's the reality. I had this conversation today with a friend of mine. I'm not boycotting, I'll just check out what interests me, and pass on what doesn't.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I'm probably only going to watch Deadpool. It's the only that MIGHT be able to break the formula. Other than that, meh. I think the writing on the comic movies has been infected by the lazy continuity BS that has invaded DC, Marvel, et all.
"Well all that happened in a separate reality/timeline/dimension/mushroom hallucination and we're retconning to get it all back to an even keel."
If they had to stick with "we're all in a single timeline just like our readers" they wouldn't just throw any half baked crap idea on the page. They would take the time to think things out, knowing they couldn't just scrap it and jump realities.

Mar 1, 2014
That's one of the neat things about these properties though, we already have dozens of versions of any given character in comic book form, there really isn't anything to mess up except for the style, and even that is extremely varied.

As long as they give us a complete story arch from Avengers to Infinity War without resuurecting anyone more than once (already have Agent Coulson), I'll be happy. If they start pulling punches every time a hero dies, then we scream baloney.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
ithelouniverse: Fear not! The Sinister Six movie is cancelled. Look for Spidey to show up in Civil War. :)
Left out Doctor Strange... And Gambit was pushed to 2017.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I don't really get into everything that Marvel does. I did like Guardians and the original Avengers, and think Civil War will be worth watching. Mostly, I'm just excited for Deadpool. It comes out while I'm visiting my fiance in Dallas, so we'll be seeing it together.

All in all, they're action movies. I think part of the reason I like them at all is because of managed expectations. For example, I expect Deadpool to be hillarious. Anything else will be a bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.