Big Time PAD - Trypis Pipe Rescue (Pictures)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Here you have it folks... a new to me collection of New Old Stock Trypis pipes. Now I won't be able to smoke all of these, so once I've catalogued them all, taken photos, and given first crack to the folks in the local Pipe Club, I'm sure some of these will end up on BriarBid.
I can't wait to help these find homes where they will be enjoyed regularly, instead of languishing in a box in an attic.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Wow Pat, that is quite a collection. :worship:
Is this something you acquired over time or with one haul??? I know you have been doing some resto work, are these part of your work? While there are no close up pics these all look to be in good condition. I know Brian will try to snag a few, especially the straight rusticated ones :)
Please PM me if you are having trouble finding a home for these poor fellows :puffy:

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Dan it seems you're starting to know my tendencies......am I that predictable? I'm giving Pat my two or three that I'd like to see in person to pick from and I'm buying one for my best friend's 40th birthday which is today. I've just recently converted him to the pipe and he's excited to see the collection. He doesn't know I'm getting it for him but he knows he gets to pick one from the collection.
And for the record, yes there are a couple of the straight rusticated I like, but I already have one like that from Trypis so I'm actually leaning towards one of the bents and possibly a churchwarden. Who knows!!! :D

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
Really nice collection let me know when your putting them up on briarbid; my PAD is just developing!

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Wish I could see them, these pics don't work for me half the time.
Crud. Sorry Sam. Wonder if it's something I'm doing. I'm using photobucket for hosting, and linking to the forum posts as per the forum instructions... maybe I should make 'em smaller?
Any tech smart folks with opinions on how I can post pics so Sam can see 'em?
I like the calabash, churchwardens, and the volcanoes.
Yeah Uber, those are some lovely pipes. That calabash was the first I'd ever held, and i was amazed at how light it is. The little volcano is fun too.
A couple of these pipes are "twin bore" type pipes with two holes drilled into the bit, intersecting the draw hole drilled through the stem at a "Y" joint just below the bit. An interesting choice, I understand that Radice did this on some of their pipes... it has to make cleaning a bit of work though.
-- Pat

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Brian - not predictable, but I have seen a few pics you have thrown up and the Brighams were all straight stem rusticated, so just an observation :) As with me, all but one of mine are bent, so I guess that is just how that goes. You buy what you like.
I can see myself with about 6 of these pipes if the sun and the stars align properly

surlysoul

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2013
I have a Trypis with the twin-bore and its not hard to clean at all. It takes a pipe cleaner all the way through. Acually mine looks very similiar to one you have there.

hfearly

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Awesome Collection pruss! If you are thinking about selling one of the church wardens let me know, I'm very interested.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I have a Trypis with the twin-bore and its not hard to clean at all. It takes a pipe cleaner all the way through.
Thanks for the note surlysoul, I'm glad to hear it. I was surprised to see these in the collection. One of the twin bores is a small and light billiard which looks perfect for clenching. I'm guessing that twin bores were designed initially with the intent of reducing tongue bite. Is that right?
Best,
-- Pat

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Ehrlich's in Boston, a once very large and respectable tobacconist, had a twin bore pipe, I still own one. Sadly they are a pittance of what they once were.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey Fish!
I picked up an estate Ehrlich's Canadian in an auction a couple weeks ago. It is beautiful briar, with lovely birdseye, unfortunately someone tried to re-hab it by getting a carving knife out to cut some char out of the interior of the top of the bowl.
I'll post pics once I get her cleaned up.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Here is what I've been able to glean from various web sources on Philip Trypis.
"

Phillip Trypis has been a pipe maker in Canada for well over 40 years. Originally from Greece, his experience ranges from cutting burls in a briar mill to making litterally thousands of pipes out of his home in the hamlet of Oakwood, Ontario. Brigham pipes benefitted from Phillip's skills where he worked for a number of years. There he directed the pipe production of the company when it was producing over 50,000 a year. Even though he left to start his own pipe shop, he still imported briar and turned tens of thousands of bowls for Brigham not to mention produce a large number of his own branded pipes." -- Source Page http://www.selespipes.com/trypispipes.html
Here is a Trypis brochure from the same page:

I reached out to Stefan by email to try and learn more, but so far have been unsuccessful in connecting.
-- Pat

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Cool, thanks for hunting that info up. I wasn't aware of the Brigham connection, but it makes perfect sense just from looking at the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.