Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime I go shopping for new shirts, it's a task to not kill anyone. The twindly little merchant man with the pencil neck that looks like I could snap it with a hard look, runs over and puts that damned tape measure around my neck and gives me one of those, "Tsk, tsk, tsk... 18.5"

I know the drill, so I retort that of course I will wear a tie, I am not a heathen. And, I want the shirt fitted.
"Fitted? Hmmm...tsk, tsk, tsk..."
Now, I know that I am not built like a freak. I used to box, swim, play soccer, and I still ride my bike, so I am not musclebound. I am still fit. I just have a wide neck according to pencil necks in men's stores, and the fashion industry would have me believe that I am fat.
They may have one or two 18.5 necks, but they usually are the size of a tent that could fit a family of bears. And, when I tuck it in, and yes, shirts must be tucked in, I look ridiculous.
So, are most of you guys all pencil necks, or is there anyone else out there that feels like shirt makers deserve a beating?

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
I'm an 18.5 neck.. Have similar issues, I feel your pain. They end up being too voluminous in the front and sleeves tend to be too long on the 18.5 neck. It probably would be easier for me to drop 20 lbs, then I can fit into my 17.5" and 18" neck shirts

I am a 32"x 32" pants 46 regular in the jacket, I guess I could always use to drop 20lbs, but I don't feel fat. I use the ability to see my junk when urinating as a guide. If I am starting to loose a visual on my junk when going to the bathroom, then I go into panic mode and spend an entire week riding my bike without eating anything.
But, even at my skinniest, 18" is my necksize.

We should organize against these makers of men's shirts. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jeeze, any shop that has a live human being to take your measurements ought to stick to their business. If everything is readymade, they don't need the staff. If it's any comfort, scrawny people also have clothing size problems. Skinny guy gains a little gut and his (my) pants won't stay up. Shoes, shirts, sleeves, hats ... always something. Big deal when one or two items actually fit. It's a big day.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
On the rare occasion that I buy a dress shirt I tell the clerk I will only accept one inspected by #16. It keeps them busy while I browse on my own.

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Yep, I too have this issue and I have a similar problem with jeans. They are a pain in the arse to find a fitting pair for my rugby legs. If I find a pair that are the correct length then I can't get them over my calfs and thighs. If I find a pair that fit my calfs and thighs then the waist is absurdly huge. It can also be a little embarrassing when one of these "twindly little merchant men" are trying to help and can't. They end up only serving to observe your misery in this fruitless endeavour. These are just some of the reasons I avoid clothes shopping as if it were the plague.
Wednesday, I know that I must go out and purchase some more socks. A seemingly simple task you might think. I'm down to an unworkably low number and know it must be done. On the other hand, I may just choose to visit my dentist instead.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Since retiring from the military, I have ballooned up to a weight I shall not divulge here. It is evident from any photos I post of myself that I am a chubster now. I have a neck that matches my doll-like plumpness.
I tutor kids in the Vancouver School District and I tell my students that I stay fat so no young co-eds will ever get a crush on me because I don't need that drama. They laugh and laugh.
:P

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Yep, Lee jeans for me when young, my waist 32, but thighs of a weight lifter, 48 chest and 19 inch arms, baleing hay, seeding rice in coulee to sprout and picking them up to put in Airplane was my job, sacks weighed over 200#,short though, lot of people underestimated me, didn't matter, took a lot to light my fuse. Yes Michael, a tailor was the only way, when I got older, as a young man I looked like my Mom bought clothes I would grow into. :laughat: PS I'm a fat boy now.

At least I can wing the collar if 17.5 is all that’s availible. I just cannot button the top button, just using my tie to keep the lapels closed. But, it just looks lazy to me. Tis’ the seaon for family photographs, formal dinners, church, and giving speaches to large gatherings of debate students. So, I like to look spiffy.

A tailered shirt isn’t bad, approximately $200+, but when you want at least five shirts... it gets pricey.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Small frame with a big neck here. You're right, it makes it almost impossible to find a dress shirt that fits even close to properly. Fortunately, casual shirts don't require buttoning the top button, otherwise I'd be out of luck with those as well.

bigtex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2015
TX
6’3”, 305 lbs here. 19” neck, was 19.5” when I as up to 330. That made it very difficult to find an off the shelf shirt that did not fit my neck and long arms and not look like a tent on my torso. Robert Graham shirts seem to fit well in the tall sizes, but they are a bit pricey. I spend most of my spare time fishing on the Texas Gulf Coast so ordering Columbia and Under Armour big/tall shirts happens often. Up to a 56 long in jacket, but Dillard’s or The Men’s Warehouse can usually accommodate that. Best of luck finding proper fitting clothing...l

Ha ha

Brad, Lee jeans are the only jeans I could wear also.

At least I don’t have my stepson’s issue. He is a rugby player who wears a size 16 cleat, which requires us to special order almost all of his shoes. I had him a pair of boots made a few years ago, so outside of sports, he has only ever worn those big ass boots, ha ha. But, he takes really good care of them. I’m not sure I could pay to do thay again anytime soon.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I can sympathize, Cosmic. Last time I checked, I have to wear a 19 collar and that is a bit tight. I just got back from exchanging some gifted jeans for ones that properly fit. Where I was once a 30 waist and 34 length (25 years ago), I am now up to a 40 waist and 32 length. I lost the length on my longer leg with a tibial plateau fracture a couple years ago. 8O The 40 waist will allow a thick layer of longjohns for the winter, otherwise I could probably squeeze into 38's. I use the same metric for being too heavy. If I can't see my junk, I lose weight. The other barometer I use is tying my shoes. If I am out of breath from bending over and my gut putting too much pressure on my diaphragm, that is a red flag.
I am determined to start wearing nothing but overalls and a T-shirt in the next couple years. I am built like my maternal Grandfather. A big jug head, broad shoulders, long arms, pot belly (now) and no ass to speak of. The gentleman that helped me with the exchange today was in his sixties, a little on the large size and dressed impeccably in a suit and tie. I can say he a had a large neck as well. So, I lucked out in the clothing department today.
I love the "I will only accept one inspected by #16" line and may have to steal it. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.