PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
So I recently bought my first Calabash pipe and it looks pretty sweet, but I have a fairly big issue with it: Once tobacco is inserted into the bowl and the bowl is inserted into the gourd body, the flame from my match or lighter just cannot be pulled down into the bowl in order to light the tobacco. There is no blockage anywhere in the gourd airway, the bowl is in near perfect shape (it is porcelain by the way, don't know if that matters). I consulted a friend who owns a lot of calabashes, and he led me to believe that it might need to be recorked. Upon first look, it didnt look like there was any sort of cork lining or anything that helped to seal the bowl into the gourd body. But upon further inspection, it looks like there is indeed a cork lining at the top of the gourd, but it also looks like someone tried either use glue or caulk to help hold the bowl in. My question to you guys: Do you think this thing would be worth sending off to get recorked if there is already a cork lining intact? Do you think there might be some either issue that I'm not seeing as to why I cant get a flame down to the bowl?

Jul 15, 2011
If it'll help, heres a couple of pics I snapped. Taken with the wifes phone, sorry if they're of poor quality:
WP_20131125_001_zps7dbe244d.jpg

WP_20131125_002_zpsd22c4849.jpg

Jul 15, 2011
Oh yeah, it's real gourd calabash, paid a good deal of money for it (not a huge amount, but about average what these pipes go for, or at least I'm told), but it would be a bummer to have to drop another $30-$60 to get it back smokable, but I guess if that's what I have to do it's what I have to do. I got two more real gourd calabashes coming as well :mrgreen:

Jul 15, 2011
That's the thing, I don't really know what the issue is. Is that funky white residue the issue? Is the cork bad and does it still need to be recorked? The gourd is in pretty good shape, I plugged the top of the bowl and blew in through the mortise, there are no air leaks anywhere in the gourd, so I don't think it's cracked. This is really messing with me.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I believe someone has tried to use caulk, as you already guessed. You'd never be able to remove that without damaging the original cork, IMO. Seeing as how they did that in the first place, there must have been some issue with the cork already. I'd say someone could re-cork it for a reasonable price, and it's worth it,IMO, to save great pipes like that!

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Test the draw with out any tobacco in it. Take the pipe, with the bowl insert in it, and put your palm over the bowl. Then puff on the pipe. If you feel your hand being pulled down, and don't hear any air escaping, then the seal is good. If your hand isn't pulled or you hear air, then it isn't.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Norwood will replace the cork for $16.50.

http://www.norwoodspiperepair.com/index.php/pipe-repair

Not a happy expense but it will make it smokable.

Jul 15, 2011
The bad news is that there was a serious flaw with the gourd that I only found about by having a professional take a look at it. It also needed to be recorked, but the good news is that the seller agreed to let me return the pipe and save me the cost to fix it. While I am bummed that I had to let a Calabash go, I have a better one coming in that I am buying from someone who specializes in these pipes. Thanks to everyone for their feedback.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
Wow a pretty sloppy affair, looks like silicone caulk......

When you get it re-done or replaced, I think you will find that the Calabash is a most wonderful pipe, I totally love them......

The only down side I have found is that they tend to be large and as thus heavy and not easy to hold in one's mouth

It had to have been Sherlock Holmes that inspired me to get my first one......
SC

Status
Not open for further replies.