Pipes Magazine » Pipe Repair and Maintenance

Tags:   

Big-Ben Re-Stemmed and Restored

(22 posts)
  1. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just finished up this pipe this evening and thought I'd share the article with you:
    http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/07/24/big-ben-freehand-re-stemmed-and-reborn/

Greg
    Posted 6 years ago #
  2. joeahearn

joeahearn

Login to Send PM

Really gorgeous work, Greg, and I mean it. You are an artist at restoration.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting story and great job Greg!

Matt.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  4. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greg you're the reborn guy? I follow you and love you blog! You've inspired me to start dabbling...

Posted 6 years ago #
  5. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I skimmed through it and I'm Just book marking it by posting so I can read it in full later. But the finished product looks fantastic great job. Will read it all tomorrow when I'm not in bed falling asleep lol.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 6 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Nice, I've been thinking about getting one of those tenon turning tools. The pipe looks great and you picked a good stem for it for sure.

Posted 6 years ago #
  7. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great job, really good job on explaining it with your own thoughts, First class job. Now the Big Question, How does I Smoke?

The Old Cajun
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never owned a Big Ben, but I would expect Dutch pipes to be crafted with great care. The Dutch
    (to stereotype and generalize) love precision and design. This one really gives back the intense
    attention and care you put into reviving it; looks better than the original, very fine indeed.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for the kind words. It was a big project and took a lot of words to document it, the longest article I've written this far.

I am not "the" reborn pipes guy, but a contributor, as is Al. Steve it "the" guy and writes most of the content on the blog. Nevertheless, I'm glad to hear that the collective "we" have inspired you to give your hand a try at the art of restoration, tarak.

Bradley, I packed about 3/4 bowl last night of BlackHouse in her for the inaugural smoke and she did great: nothing but ash in the bottom of the bowl and the smoke was nice and cool. I think I'm going to like this "odd" addition to my collection! And thank you for the comments on the article, too!

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wonderful work. It's great to see a pipe receive proper treatment and start a new life.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I just read the entry this morning, interesting tale and great job!

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. gmwolford

Greg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never owned a Big Ben, but I would expect Dutch pipes to be crafted with great care. The Dutch
    (to stereotype and generalize) love precision and design. This one really gives back the intense
    attention and care you put into reviving it; looks better than the original, very fine indeed.

The drilling is spot on and other than the two fills the stummel is nice; I obviously can't speak to the original stem! On last weeks PM Radio Show Brian said he had re-launched the Big-Ben line (they bankrupted a few years ago)so there are new ones to be had and I'm sure some on the estate market, too. I my short experience with this one I would say they are good smokers (second bowl almost gone and its going along dry, cool, and to the bottom) and have some eye-appeal as well!
    I just read the entry this morning, interesting tale and great job!

Thanks, Al. It is definitely an interesting pipe with its backstory IMHO.
    Wonderful work. It's great to see a pipe receive proper treatment and start a new life.

Thank you. I think bringing old things back to life is such a joy. And making an old pipe a beautiful and enjoyable thing again is a wonderful (and addictive) hobby!

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. jah76

jah76

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greg! You are turning into a Maestro.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Every pipe I restore, I always wonder about the "backstory" to it. Lately, with some of the tales I've been hearing, I think it's just best not to think about it. Clean it, give it a new life, and move on.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wonderful work, as usual, Greg!

Thanks for documenting and posting the details for us. It really helps us newbies to restoration to learn how folks like you, Steve and Al tackle issues we commonly find in pipes.

Cheers!

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. boudreaux

boudreaux

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Super restoration, Greg. Enjoyed reading the details of your work.

--boudreaux

--boudreaux
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. gwtwdbss

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow, what a great job Greg. Nice work!

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Great back story and while the article is rather long, I believe it needed to be to really show the love and respect you put in your work to bring this old girl back to her former glory. Your old Big Ben looks great and glad to hear she smokes well too. Thanks for posting this, Greg!

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. durham270

Durham

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greg, you really do great work and have taught me so much. I've looked at the site many, many times. Thanks for sharing all the wonderful and informative tips and stories.

"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs." -Albert Einstein
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe :)Great job

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. jonesee75

Steve

Login to Send PM

Beautiful job Greg. Pipe looks incredible.

Master Chief
    USN
    Posted 5 years ago #
  22. kashmir

kashmir

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Greg, excellent restoration. And what a story behind that pipe. The Major and his wife. Who would have thought it would end this way? Truth stranger than fiction.

The pipe eases you into the present moment - savor your pipe & you'll savor this moment.
    Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   josephcross, jiminks, tnfan, ben88, jpmcwjr, loadclear, monkeylyf, chasingembers, craig61a, loneredtree, alaskanpiper, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, lochinvar