PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
I have very recently experienced the displeasure of being sniped twice during the last seconds of bidding on two pipes I really wanted.

I am currently bidding on another two great pipes, and would like to avoid disappointment again - if possible.

So I was thinking of a bidding strategy; all I could come up with was not to bid until the last 20 seconds or so, and then to place a relatively high maximum bid that I believe would not be surpassed.
If any of you care to share any 'trade secrets' about bidding for pipes on Ebay, I sure would appreciate it.

Many thanks! :puffy:

Aug 1, 2012
Unless your max is pretty high or you are going for a pipe nobody wants (hard to tell when that's going to happen) sniping is about the only way to go. I have a pretty fast internet connection so I usually wait until 15s and click the bid button, then click confirm with 8 or less seconds left. I hate doing it that way but after losing 20+ auctions to snipers after putting in a reasonable max, it really seems to be the only way to get what you're after reliably.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
All you can do is decide what you are willing to pay for a certain pipe, put your max bid in for that amount, and hope nobody drives it up to your max bid or beyond. :twisted:

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"Unless your max is pretty high or you are going for a pipe nobody wants (hard to tell when that's going to happen) sniping is about the only way to go. I have a pretty fast internet connection so I usually wait until 15s and click the bid button, then click confirm with 8 or less seconds left. I hate doing it that way but after losing 20+ auctions to snipers after putting in a reasonable max, it really seems to be the only way to get what you're after reliably."

Thanks, Captain; seems like good advice. :clap:

Thanks also to you other guys! :puffy:

Oct 22, 2011
So funny that you posted this. About 2 hours ago, I got sniped in the last 5 seconds of a GBD auction. I was super disappointed, but here's the deal: enter the absolute MOST you are willing to pay and walk away. Constantly increasing your bid is a slippery slope. The psychology of the auction gets crazy. Rationally consider the MOST that you think is reasonable and don't check back until the auction is over.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
The only way to go is to put up slightly less than what you want them in the last 20 seconds increase to your max. Snipers try to guess what your max is so you have to be sneekier than they are.

Oct 22, 2011
Haha, yeah Mike, it is ABSOLUTELY worth more than it sold for. I bid about $35 because I saw a comparable pipe go for something similar recently. I have a policy -- judge an amount based on recent history and current funds. It was a beauty and worth a LOT more than what it went for. If I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted a pipe, I'd bid a huge amount and bask in my winnings. However, that has not happened to me...yet. I only shell out real dough for a NEW pipe.

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Just do what everyone else is doing and decide what the max you'll pay and put that bid in. I usually put a bid in at 2 min. to see if anyone else is looking and then wait with another offer to click right before the end of the auction. 2 min. will usually draw out the other bidders if you become the high bidder. Just don't get carried away and bid more than it's worth or more than you're willing to pay including shipping.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I think we all have had that happen to us a time or two. Like others have said have a good talk with yourself and set the max you are willing to pay and not a penny more. If you haven't noticed there are a butt load of pipes on Ebay. If the love of your life just got swiped from you another one will come along in short order.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"If I decide I absolutely have to have a pipe, I wait until 30 seconds to go and then bid $999. Ended up paying $402 for a $150 Dunhill shell once, but the other half dozen times I used that method they worked out OK."
Yes, I thought of something similar, BUT

if you bid $999 and someone in the last few seconds bids something like $900, you end up paying $901!

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"If you haven't noticed there are a butt load of pipes on Ebay. If the love of your life just got swiped from you another one will come along in short order."
Not if you're bidding on an estate that hasn't been in production for years...

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I've gotten plenty of chances at pipes from the 30's-50's that if I missed out on one or went out of my price range another came along. I suppose you're right if it was a one of a kind but if it is a BBB, Kaywoodie or Peterson another can come along even nicer than the one lusted after but lost.

eibhir

Can't Leave
Jan 16, 2013
United States
Well Mike you definately have a bigger pair than me. :P

My husband would kill me if I bid $999 on anything. Ever since the lyre incident the most I can bid is $100.

I like your plan though!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Lots of terrific advice so far. I'll just add that if you really don't have the stomach for the auction process -- or the desire to use a sniping program -- then I'd suggest keeping an eye out for those pipes that include a Buy It Now option. And then snag it quickly, if you want it. Because as soon as any bidding begins, the Buy It Now button disappears.
Bob

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
"...Because as soon as any bidding begins, the Buy It Now button disappears."
Hmm - I wasn't aware of that, thanks.

And again thanks to all for the great input; I'll start applying it this evening! :puffy:

May 31, 2012
I'm on a budget and can't hang with the big dogs on very desirable pipes. I've settled down on my eBay estate purchases, but for a while I was hot 'n heavy into it. I got so frustrated with losing to snipers that I eventually ate my ethics & used a sniper service on select pipes that I really really wanted.
Otherwise, if you don't mind doing international trades, the German eBay has lots of pipes that usually go for more reasonable prices, just make sure they're not 9mm as many are the filter pipes & if you find something you gotta contact the seller to ask if they're cool with shipping to the States, many sellers over there take payPal but many more also only take bank transfers, so it takes a little extra legwork to get things lined up.
here are some recently ended auctions, sometimes there's a true gem to be found for very cheap!

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=pfeife+gbd&_sacat=0&_odkw=pfeife+barling&_osacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=pfeife+barling&_sacat=0&_odkw=pfeife+gbd&_osacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1
http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=pfeife+parker&_sacat=0&_odkw=pfeife+barling&_osacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_nkw=pfeife+charatan&_sacat=0&_odkw=pfeife+england&_osacat=0&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1
Another thing I use is this CollectorsWeekly site, looking for gems that only had a few watchers is one way to find stuff you know won't be crazy fierce bidding wars, pipes that have like 98 watchers are the ones that go for insane money so then I'd know pretty much I wass out of the running, a good tool to gauge what to go for, I've found it quite helpful...

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/tobacciana/pipes/auctions?sort=most-watched

It's really a great feeling when you win a pipe and then it gets to your mailbox and lives up to everything you thought it was!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I set my price that I am willing to pay and hit it with 7 seconds left, if I win great if I don't no big deal, there are tons of pipes out there. I do make it a point to never ever get in a bidding war or bid on a pipe where I think shills are involved.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I too was into the eBay hysteria to obtain dunhills until I began to realize that I was getting obsessed watching the auction start out at reasonable levels and at the last one minute go nuts with pricing going way beyond reason
I agree with those who suggested to decide a price in advance and just walk away until its over
It is so easy to overbid
Allan

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
I just started smoking the pipe and I only had two that my brother gave me. So I started on E-bay like so many others. I try to research what a resonable bid is, I am not alway good at this. I set my limit and post with a few seconds left. I don't always expect to get something, but it is nice when I get a pipe I wanted. I do wish there was a way to determine the fair value of an item in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.