PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Can someone please explain to me how this system works? I've never bid on a pipe before. I spotted a pipe I might like and took note of the current highest bid. I noticed that every time I entered a new bid, a message appeared that it was not high enough. I did this 3 times and got the same result.
When I retracted my bids on the item, I saw that the original high bid was back in place, which was lower than the first of my 3 bids. Why? What's the piece of the puzzle that I'm missing?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I think if you had not retracted your bids the bid would have stayed where it was after your last bid. Unless the buyer has a buy out price-and you bid that price- the price stays at the amount of the last bid- or

if the seller has a reserve price,then you get the message your bid was too low.

The thing is,don't bid unless you are serious about buying, bid what you think it is worth-- and do not retract your bids if can't be bought for what you bid.You may get it for what you bid or you may be out bid.

Actually I think buyers should not be able to retract bids under most circumstances.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
But the message said that my bid was not high enough, even though it was higher than the existing bid. A look at the bidding history showed that a lot of the recent the bids had increased by a dollar.
It was almost as though I was automatically being encouraged to bid higher and higher.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
On many bid websites you can place a bid as well as place a max bid (in addition to your original bid). Say I bid $25 for the pipe but am willing to pay $50 as a max price, I can list $50 as my max. If another person bids $30 it's higher than my current bid price, but not higher than my max bid, so until someone bids more than $50 a bidder would receive the message you received. My dollar amount would then go up to $30 and so on until the bids went over $50.
Not sure if Briarbid has a max bid feature, but that's how other sites work.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
But the message said that my bid was not high enough, even though it was higher than the existing bid. A look at the bidding history showed that a lot of the recent the bids had increased by a dollar.
It was almost as though I was automatically being encouraged to bid higher and higher.

Sounds like you were trying to bid on an item that was a "Buy out " only item. If there is a highlighted area to the right of the top picture that says -- "This is a Buy Out only auction. No bids can be placed." you must enter the price the seller has put on it-you then own it-no one else can bid on it.

Or maybe there was a glitch somewhere!?

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
On many bid websites you can place a bid as well as place a max bid (in addition to your original bid). Say I bid $25 for the pipe but am willing to pay $50 as a max price, I can list $50 as my max. If another person bids $30 it's higher than my current bid price, but not higher than my max bid, so until someone bids more than $50 a bidder would receive the message you received. My dollar amount would then go up to $30 and so on until the bids went over $50.
This is exactly how this works. Your bids were not higher the the Max bid entered for the person with the highest bid. The only way for you to have the high bid in the case is for you to enter a Max bid higher then the current high bidder. You don't know what that is, so you place a bid as high as you are willing to bid. If you don't become the high bidder you increase the listed bid of the person who is.
I don't feel you should have retracted your bids, nor do I believe you should have been allowed to. Especially in this case, the pipe you bid on is for charity. By retracting your bids you lowered the sell price of the auction, thus less money to the charity.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I also agree that bids should not be retracted. On Cigarbid (through Cigars International) it clearly states that you are entering into a contract once a bid is placed and cannot be retracted. Always do your research on what you're bidding on before you bid on it as well, so that way you're not over bidding on something that you maybe able to find less expensive somewhere else.

whitecloud

Lurker
Sep 13, 2010
The way it works on eBay is this: At different prices there is an amount by which you have to outbid the last bidder. For over $10 it's 50 cents. So if the current bid is $11 I need to bid more than $11.50 to be the high bidder. So, if I bit $14 the bid will actually show $11.50. Then someone comes along and bids $12.50, they will be told they have been outbid (because I had bid $14). If they bid over $14.50 then they will become the new high bidder. I have never bid at BriarBid so I'm not certain if this applies to them, also.

Status
Not open for further replies.