PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenssenkuek23

Lurker
Jul 12, 2017
Bic lighter or wooden matches? What is your preferences/struggles?
From my own preference, using a Bic lighter will cause the tobacco/bowl to be real hot.
Where else, I would prefer using wooden matches where it is much cooler to burn.

May 4, 2015
BIC 99% of the time. If it's making your bowl too hot, hold it farther away from your tobacco when you're lighting. Matches are fine, preferable even, but fussy and I don't mess with them these days.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Lighting up always Swan Vesta matches. Relights pipe lighter with angled flame or hemp wick which is very convenient particularly at the end of the bowl.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have been pondering this for years now .. conclusion: whatever works for you, man. I personally use matches at home, a lighter on the go - be that gas or butane.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I use an old boy to light used match stubs. Nothing like using 2 stones for 1 bird. That said, the cooler the temperature, the greater the perception of flavor ime.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Any source of flame can be used just fine. The hotter the source, the further away from the tobacco to get an even, cool light. It's the super heated air off the tip that does the trick.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"From my own preference, using a Bic lighter will cause the tobacco/bowl to be real hot."
How can that be? You should only hold the flame to the pipe long enough for the tobacco to ignite. Anything after that which makes the bowl hot is down to the smoker puffing too hard.
The temperature of a properly simmering pipe is not determined by the source of ignition.
Regards,
Jay.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
If I'm smoking inside, which is 99% of the time, I use matches for the first light and then switch to a Bic or similar lighter. I use a Zippo after a third of the way down. If outside I'll use a Zippo from start to finish.

using a Bic lighter will cause the tobacco/bowl to be real hot.

This always baffles me. Are you holding the lighter upside down to put the actual flame inside the bowl? This is where not having pipe smoking men around you as you grow up is a disadvantage. You do not put the flame in the bowl. You draw the heat down into the bowl (not the flame) to ignite the tobacco. I guess most people either never paid any attention to how men lit their pipes, or have never been around guys who smoke pipes, ever. And youtube is no help, because the first requirement of being a youtube smoker is to not have a clue.

Plus, we have those stupid misleading pipe lighters that turn the flame downwards. I think these were made by pipe companies for suckers, so they'll cook their rims and bowls, so you'll have to buy more pipes.
However, if you mean that using a hotter heat will cause a hotter ignition of the tobacco, well... I just giggle. Too bad the physics of this world don't work this way.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Plus, we have those stupid misleading pipe lighters that turn the flame downwards. I think these were made by pipe companies for suckers,"
Michael, if by that you mean the angled butane lighters then not quite so. I use these exclusively due to arthritis as the type that sends the flame straight up I cannot bend my arm enough to use them.
So a sucker I must be :oops:
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Lately I've been using matches for the charring light as it's a small flame that grants the user much control to avoid hitting the rim.

From there, all it takes to get the bowl rolling is to quickly hit it with the Bic or Djeep..or whatever else you have handy.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I prefer to use matches whenever possible, but a Bic is damned handy for when you're out and about. No more heating issues with one or the other in my experience.

toddryan84

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2017
Maybe I need more practice using BIC!
I use matches and a BIC bc I just cannot afford those fancy lighters. I notice issues when using the bic too with my bowl getting very hot, then if I hold the flame farther away, I don't get very accurate relights.
I use matches usually for my charring light, and then switch to the bic, or sometimes if I just want to light it a bit I use a match. I alternate, I do the bic usually because I'm impatient lol

poppabear

Lurker
Aug 6, 2017
i will say that i have been using a zippo pipe lighter. they are like $13-$15 on amazon. what i like about it is that fact that you cant really touch the flame to the tobacco. you have to hold it over it and pull the flame to the bowl. works really nicly after a char and a tamp. only prob. is keepin that sucker full of fluid (which i dont think really imparts a taste)

Status
Not open for further replies.