PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
As far as aros go, I believe 1Q is the top of the list, but there are some other good ones out there. Sutliff Molto Dolce is very good, as well as CAO Eileen's Dream. One of my favorite aros is one I make myself, I call it Fat Albert. It's easy to do, just mix equal parts black cavendish and Prince Albert. For the black cavendish I'll use either Lane BCA or Smokers Pride Black Cavendish (also a Lane product). Hope this helps!

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
MacBaren Seven Seas Royal and Gold are very quality aromatics.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
"Best" is a relative term, or as the Romans had it, de gustibus non est disputandum--there is no arguing about matters of taste. We are constitutionally different, and our bodies react differently to different tastes and aromas. If you run into someone who has been smoking Mixture 79 for many years, don't disparage his taste--he's getting what he wants from his pipes--even if he shells out big bucks for them. I discovered English blends in the mid 1960s and tried to convert my aromatic smoking friends to "true smoking." I gave that up long years ago.

By the way, these days I smoke an aromatic a few times a week, and enjoy 1Q tremendously. I also find the aromatics made by Peretti's and Pipeworks and Wilke to be superlative tobaccos. Who knows, I may even try a bowl of Mixture 79 some day! :roll:

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
"Best" is indeed subjective. If you want something objective, though, one of the next-best-selling blends is Stokkebye's Nougat. (I rarely smoke aromatics, but when I do, that's one I turn to.) Like 1Q, it's sold all over the world under a host of different names. (Tinder Box labels it as "North Sea," and it's been their best-selling blend since the late 1970s.)
Bob

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I believe you absolutely need to try Villiger's Mid-Day. It is one of the best aro's out there.
Also have you ventured beyond Aro's? If not you may want to try these:

Frog Morton Cellar

McClelland Yenidje Highlander
Both are fantastic in their own way.

bill708

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
1-Q is the best selling pipe tobacco in the world. Every pipe smoler, I contend, has smoked it. I suggest Lane LL-7 as a step forward. It is a mild tobacco but with a little different flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I smoke about half aromatics. My standard aros don't seem to be big favorites on Forums, but I'll mention them

again. I like 1Q's kid brother from Lanes, LL-7, and from Altadis, Queen Anne's Revenge and Dark Obsession, and

from Sutliff, Great Outdoors, and from Peter Stokkebye, Nougat.
Maybe a correction on one of the posts above: I believe Q1 is called Wilshire at Tinder Box, and Stokkeybye's Nougat

is called North Sea -- correct me if I'm wrong.
Of course, there are many other blends that cross my path, and that I enjoy, which comes from reading Forums too often.
As mentioned before, I find rotating between aromatics and English blends and other non-aromatic tobaccos increases

the flavor of each tobacco or blend, rather than sawing away at only one type.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
For me MacBaren Seven Seas Royal and Sutliff Molto Dolce would be the ones next to 1Q, the Molto Dolce though I would let it sit out before adding it to my pipe.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I've enjoyed Lane's Black Raspberry and Pipe&Cigars Hearth & Home Manor Heights.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Try Brebbia Calvados Mixture 110, a nice Virginia-based aromatic with French apple brandy (Calvados). See my thread

reviewing this blend; read all about it! This is at Cup O Joes, maybe other places too.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
My suggestions would be

Lane LL-7

Molto Dolce

Butternut Burley
or like petes03 i do a little home blending with Carter Hall and Smokers Pride Black Cavendish and Smokers Pride Cherry Cavendish. Just mix up small batches with different quantities of each and see what you like best.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 on using CH for home blending.
I don't care for CH a whole lot by itself, but it works wonders with anything else that isn't so good by itself.
I'm a 1Q fan also.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I like Butternut Burley better than 1Q because the flavor is more pronounced.
1Q is very soft and can get lost if your mind wanders.
Or Blue Note. Sweet gravy of the gods Blue Note is delicious. Can't put my finger on the flavor but I am a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.