Beware use of unspecified lighter fluid use in your Zippo!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Hello, Fellow Puffers!
Yes, I have not been around here posting for awhile, but no, this is not a shill topic.
About a month ago, I researched the idea of using cheaper fluid than the Zippo brand in my Zippo pipe lighter, and found only older relevant topics, so I held back on posting to them. If a recent topic has addressed this since that time, then go ahead and delete this one, Mods, but I would appreciate the favor of you directing me to such a topic.
The gist which I got from related topics was that the working chemical agent is Naphta, and that non-Zippo fluids based on that chemical should be safe enough for my Zippo pipe lighter. Well, a few did state that they diluted the cheaper stuff with Zippo fuel.
I had a hard time finding Zippo fluid outside of the local tobacco shops, even at the local drugstores for some reason, and after running out of patience for all that asking around, playing the naughty boy with those who hide what they may not have anyway behind the counters (I'm really so old that I feel I shouldn't have to do that), I grabbed the only thing which I could see at WalMartz. It was in the Home & Garden department, and the active chemical was not specified.
I can still use this unspecified crap on my charcoal grill, but I believe it totally ruined my Zippo. I tried chasing whatever it is out with about 20+ loads of pure Zippo naphta, and still I could only get a light on maybe the 10th flick every time. After changing the flint a couple of times, and pulling up the wick a little with needlenose pliers, it got no better. At present, it doesn't light at all, although I'm still getting a spark.
In light (did I really just use that word) of the above, does anyone have a solution that may fix this Zippo?
Your thoughts and consideration of this situation are appreciated!

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
If it were me.. I'd pull all the cotton packing out and throw it away. I'd stuff it with new packing. I'd also take the flint and spring out and clean the hole with a solvent. Something like Everclear. I'd also wipe down the inside (with the cotton removed) with some Everclear. I might even consider a new wick.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Replace your cotton and wick, and it should be right as rain.
jitterbugdude beat me to it. :mrgreen:

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Thanks, you guys are great!
On Ronson, I make no statements concerning that.
The only intelligible information on the label is the product name, actually "Odorless Lighter Fluid", sold at WalMart, but not under a WalMart label (very mysterious). LOL, I know it was stupid to trust that crap, but I was willing to risk it for a lighter which doesn't carry the price of an Old Boy butane job.
Does anyone know if chemicals other than Naphta are common in fluid which is sold with charcoal lighting in mind?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I use the Ronson fluid with no problems. If I remember correctly Ronson is now owned by Zippo.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
You can get a gallon of VM&P Naptha (Varnish Maker's and Painter's) at Home Depot for about $12. What I've been using for years and exactly what Zippo and Ronson fluids are, iirc.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Like ejames, I use Ronsonol fluid; have for over 50 years, albeit secondary to wooden matches. While I've never looked for it, I've never noticed Zippo fluid on the shelves. Guess I should add that there are no B&M tobacco shops closer than 200 miles, so I seldom go into one looking for lighter fluid; pick it up locally.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Every Kroger, Giant Eagle, whatever grocery I have been in has a group of supplies by the first check out. Dill cleaners, Zippo fuel, Zippo flints and Zippo wicks.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Every Kroger, Giant Eagle, whatever grocery I have been in has a group of supplies by the first check out. Dill cleaners, Zippo fuel, Zippo flints and Zippo wicks.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
dochudson, NYS is different, you don't even see a conspicuous display of cigarettes in grocery stores here, but at least I'm not far from nearby tobacconists.
I just took the lighter apart, and the pads are now soaking in Zippo fluid (sounds like Ronson works as well, I'll have to see if it isn't available next time I'm at Rite Aid). I figured out how to run the wick too, although I don't know that there will be enough left for decent layering. If I can find my last undiscarded, but dead enough Bic, I'll try liberating it of the wick, otherwise I'll have to spend money on a new one.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Despite the aggravation and messiness of filling a zippo-type lighter, I've found that nothing works quite like one of these with the pipe insert (mine isn't aftermarket) For one of the few pipes I own which have a bright rim that I care about preserving, this seems to work much better than any angle butane job which I've collected. Those have somehow have broken down and become useless after about a year or less, and they all cost a lot more. Nothing is more windproof either.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Aggravation and messiness? Disassemble lighter, lift the felt, fill the lighter, push the felt into place, assemble lighter . . . you're right! Lotta steps but, my lighter is damned dependable. I've not found it messy though unless you try to fill the lighter through the spare flint hole. Then it's best to let the overflow evaporate or wipe the insert and lighter before firing it off.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Warren, I guess my problem is not estimating too well when I've filled it enough, and then I have fluid spilling all over my hands. I do lift the pad every time.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Checotah, I always see that about the wooden matches, but I've never been able to get a light from one without choking on the taste of sulphur. Always indoors too. Do you hold the match straight up to let it burn off? How much time do you give it?

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Checotah, the matches I've tried are handed out free at my local tobacconist, and I need a couple of them just to get a decent char light without burning my fingers. Should i maybe consider better quality matches?

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
Walgreens should have Ronson lighter fluid, I bought the big bottle for 6 dollars and still have more than half, also get new zippo packing and wick.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
Also I had drilled a hole in the middle of the lighter shield and I made my zippo into a pipe lighter.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
@puffndave: While I have used a variety of wooden matches, I prefer the Diamond Greenlight Strike Anywhere matches. They are a little longer than some of the strike-on-box type, so they give you a little extra time. As far as how long to let it burn before lighting, I usually wait only a couple of seconds after the head flame settles down. That usually puts the flame about a half an inch onto the wood. I confess I had to light a couple to check it out. I've been doing it so long that I never think about it. Of course, windy conditions can change things a bit in that I tend to hurry the process a little. Too windy, and the Zippo comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.