BEWARE: The New Peterson Rosslare Has a Filter!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I couldn't have been more surprised or disappointed. I just bought this from Smokingpipes (which btw made no mention of a filter for this pipe). I had no idea any Pete came with a filter. And to make matters worse, the tenon (which holds the filter) is a cheap, flimsy plastic.
Without the filter in place, the tenon has weak rigidity and does not look like it will last too long (maybe some years, but not generations like I feel an expensive pipe should). Anyway, this pipe is going back, but I thought I should warn other prospective buyers.
rosslare-filter-600x401.jpg

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That looks like the same set up of most Savinelli filtered pipes. Did it come with an adapter? It is rather surprising to see a filtered Pete. They don't show up too often here in the States.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Bummer! That's too bad its a beautiful pipe. I just don't get filters. I tried years ago and after the first smoke the filter just made the pipe taste nasty. I'm certainly not changing out a filter for every smoke. :roll: Some people like them evidently.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Ugh. Nice pipe otherwise. The 9mm Petes are made for (mostly) the German market AFAIK. I've even seen adverts for System pipes with a 9mm filter (shudder).

I have a Sav provisioned for 9mm which I use with the filter for aros and other things that bite. The tenon is very flexy. When not using a filter, I use an adapter.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That's too bad its a beautiful pipe.
I agree - I was eyeing that pipe for a couple of weeks and then decided to make the plunge before it disappeared. The tenon really gets me - it is very cheap, especially for a Rosslare Royal at $164.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Filters are like lite beer. I toss 'em.
Too bad, Six. That is a lovely looking pipe. I'd return it. I believe SP will take care of you.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
What a disappointment! I've wanted a Rosslare for years, now I'm not sure. I really hope this isn't the direction Peterson is going with their pipes.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I believe SP will take care of you.
They did - prompt reply and they will take care of the shipping. Mistakes happen, but it's great that they do their best to resolve it.

What a disappointment! I've wanted a Rosslare for years, now I'm not sure. I really hope this isn't the direction Peterson is going with their pipes.
I know that for now on, I will have to double-check; but like LOPR mentioned, this may have been a Europeon model that made it over here to the states. I have another Rosslare (that had some issues early on), but it's otherwise an excellent pipe that I reach for often.

Dec 24, 2012
I have a pete house pipe that takes a filter. It was the first pipe I bought, and I purchased it at the Peterson store in Dublin. No flimsy tenon. It smokes just fine without the filter - I do use that pipe for the occasional aromatic I smoke and I usually do use a filter when I smoke an aro. In fact, the only way I find an aro tolerable is when I use a filter - they work pretty well if you have an issue getting a cool smoke from an aro.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
the only way I find an aro tolerable is when I use a filter - they work pretty well if you have an issue getting a cool smoke from an aro.
That's good to know. I don't usually have a problem with the aros I smoke. Still, I really don't want to have to stock up on Peterson filters just to smoke a pipe.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
chintzy = shabby, cheaply made
stock up on Peterson filters
Any 9mm filter will do, although I prefer the Vauen ones - pay a little more but they can go a couple of smokes as opposed to let's say the Denicotea ones which get soggy halfway through the bowl with some blends.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks for the heads-up. It's sad to see a company with Peterson's reputation start to produce chintzy products.
say what?
I think he was referring to the tenon - which really is chintzy. Without the filter in place, it's flimsy and also glued into the stem - everything about the tenon says cheap.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
"this probably isn't the new normal, but a European version - I didn't think of that."
Unfortunately, this does seem to be the new normal -- the thin, cheap plastic tenons seem to be the standard issue on many newer pipes. Several I've acquired recently have this. It does seem to have originated in Europe, but has definitely become common in North America as well. In view of this, it's probably a good idea to call before buying and check if this "feature" is included on the pipe you're considering.
Still, I'm very surprised to find it in a Peterson, especially a higher-end pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If an experienced pipe man like numbersix is having to return a Peterson, I can see the difficulty a relatively

new smoker might have. You have to find out if a given pipe has a filter, what kind, and if it adapts for non-filter

use. Also, the P-Lips have to be screened, if you don't want that. And pipes (not Petersons) that have stingers

have to be sorted out and probably avoided. Then there are pipes like the Brigham, which have their own

filter system that has to be understood and accepted or rejected. And so on. There's plenty of opportunity

for a good pipe shop person or other practiced hand to advise people. I hope the online retailers will

emphasize these differences, explain and clarify, so people aren't disappointed. Getting into this hobby is

a learning curve anyway, so making it accessible is really important. The best surprise is no surprise, as

the old ad said. Pipe sellers have to refrain from grabbing that one-time sale and ending what could be years

of future sales by putting the customer off pipes altogether.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
numbersix, you just freaked me out, but only for a moment.
The same exact pipe you purchased, I had purchased a week prior from Bard's Vintage Briar, but mine does not have a filter. Maybe because it was "new old stock". http://www.vintagebriar.com/petersons-rosslare-106/
It is a great smoker.
~Zeke

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Thanks for showing that one, Number Six. I like the 9mm filter pipe with certain blends, and my Grafton has a metal sleeve to hold the filter. I was looking to buy a second Pete filter pipe, but that appears too cheesy for words. Perhaps a Rattrays or a Vauen will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.