PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Oh my goodness! Is this actually the original script? This just made my week!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
That's awesome! I vaguely remember the fractured fairytales from when I was a youngin'.

Imagine the horror of ANY tobacco products being included in children's programs nowadays?!?! :puffy:

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Fractured Fairy tales were adult targeted satire in an era that really had no other offerings. Edward Everett Horton, who was the narrator for the series was a veteran American actor on screen, radio and, later, TV.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Fractured Fairy Tales" sprang from the incredibly fertile, funny, freewheeling mind of Jay Ward, the creator of "Rocky & His Friends" aka The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show. In my humble estimation Mr. Ward was a true comedic genius, and grossly overlooked and underrated in the genre.
It saddens me to see the utter pap which today's youth know as "cartoons." View any of Mr. Ward's work today and I believe that you will find that it is STILL funny - more than 50 years after the fact; will the current crop meet that same test? I sincerely doubt it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Bullwinkle was my favorite cartoon when I was a kid. It turns out, it was also the fave of my mother-in-law, so my wife watched them too. A few years ago I picked up a DVD set of all of the Bullwinkle cartoons, and spent a wonderful evening watching them with my mother in law.
"Those were the best kids cartoons ever" my wife said. "Oh, no, they weren't for kids" answered her mother, "They were for the poor parents who had to watch all of those other stupid cartoon with their kids. That's why they were so brilliant. Kids loved them, but the parents got the real humor".
Here's some great insights from June Foray, the actress who voiced Rocky, Natasha and others...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwKEquWcnJE

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
And she was prominent on Stan Freeberg's records....
Actually, there was a lot of cross-over in talent between Jay Ward and Stan Freeberg

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
As a lad, I would tune in every Sunday morning to watch Bullwinkle and Underdog. Kids today have no idea how good us old people had it then!

Status
Not open for further replies.