Beverly Hills Bans the Sale of All Tobacco - Sort Of

(32 posts)
  • Started 2 months ago by litup
  • Latest reply from Bill Nichols
  1. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

LA Times Article about the Ban

I'm sure this comes as a shock to exactly no one. What I'm most conflicted about is the exemption for the Grand Havana Room. On the one hand, any time a pipe and cigar lounge is left alone to operate as they see fit is a victory. But given the exclusivity of the club and the draconian restrictions enforced everywhere else in the city, it's hard not to interpret this as a brazen act of classism.

Posted 2 months ago #
  2. litup

litup

Login to Send PM

For those that don't feel like reading the whole article, here are a few choice snippets:

The city of Beverly Hills cleared the last hurdle to enact what officials say is the most stringent tobacco ban in the country Tuesday night, eliminating the sale of virtually all recreational nicotine products — with one very Beverly Hills exception. For an elite group of aficionados, hundreds of whom swamped committee meetings and wrote the city in protest, cigars will be spared — as long as they’re smoked inside one of three dedicated lounges.

“The Grand Havana Room, which I have been a member of since its inception, provides a treasured home away from home,” wrote Schwarzenegger, whose letter was among those the city received in support of the club. “It is unthinkable that the city might adopt a policy that would intentionally or unintentionally cause the closure of this character-defining institution.”

Schwarzenegger made clear he supported the ban, which passed its first reading in a unanimous vote Tuesday night. “I am right there with you,” he wrote. “I agree with your battle to protect people from the dangers of tobacco smoke.”

But when it came to his club, Schwarzenegger wrote, the city should back off.

“I trust that [the city] will recognize the fundamental difference" between clubs like the Grand Havana Room and a gas station selling nicotine pods for e-cigarettes, he wrote.

Posted 2 months ago #
  3. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Translation of Schwarzenegger's statement: As long as I get to do what I want do, and have my fun doing it, others shouldn't.

Posted 2 months ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 months ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess it is the polar classist stereotype, but my immediate reaction was, Beverly Hills, what would you expect? Consult your gilded menu of approved vices for the metropolis. There's plenty on the menu, just not pipes and cigars. Sort of an unexpected quote from Thoreau:

"Do not be too moral. You may cheat yourself of much of life so." Odd syntax with a sharp point, I say.

Posted 2 months ago #
  6. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Everyone knows that laws, regulations, taxes, etc., are only for the little people.

And occasionally for those above law, only when they step too far out of line or piss off the wrong person.

But those above the law get there by making a deal with the devil...so they'll get their just reward eventually.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 2 months ago #
  7. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The term is "virtue signaling".

Objective fact matters not at all, only being seen by others as having a certain allegiance/opinion/belief system does.

After years of individual people increasingly doing it, now entire organizations/groups of people are doing it.

Human Tribal Behavior 101 x "social media" = Hell on Earth

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 2 months ago #
  8. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Beverly Hills classicist? Heaven forefend. I read about the proposed ban several weeks ago and even then it included an exemption for the cigar lounges. Look, deals can't be made without cigars, and everyone knows it. So the lounges get spared because they have the support of the city's leading deal makers, who may also have a financial stake in them. It's another example of money talks, bullshit walks.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 months ago #
  9. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

money talks, bullshit walks.

Which is really just another way of saying organized crime.

Which is always a key aspect of how all forms of government operate on this planet.

Posted 2 months ago #
  10. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Look, deals can't be made without cigars, and everyone knows it. So the lounges get spared because they have the support of the city's leading deal makers, who may also have a financial stake in them.

This immediately brought to mind some of my favorite Steely Dan lyrics:

I detect the El Supremo
    From the room at the top of the stairs

Show Biz Kids making movies of themselves
    You know they don't give a fuck about anybody else

Posted 2 months ago #
  11. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Looking at the brighter side, there's no way I'd ever be living in Beverly Hills, nor even visit. So it's another unpleasant place to avoid.

Posted 2 months ago #
  12. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

85% wholesale tax on pipe tobacco, Zero on cigars. Florida is just as hypocritical as Arnold and his buddies.

Arnold, if you read this, you are major douche bag. What.......... he might read this.

Harris
    Posted 2 months ago #
  13. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think it takes more than tobacco to kill The Governator.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 2 months ago #
  14. canucklehead

canucklehead

Login to Send PM

Arnold talking about cigars

Posted 2 months ago #
  15. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I heard the Clampetts moved out of Beverly Hills so Granny could smoke her rabbit tobacco.

Posted 2 months ago #
  16. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess I can cross Beverly Hills of my vacation spot list. I don't get the big deal. It's a struggle to find anywhere to smoke in most areas of the country. I'm in Raleigh, NC at the moment, the heart of tobacco country. There are two places you can smoke inside in the city. One is a cigar shop, the other a cigar bar. I may need to buy a nice RV and hire a driver in order to travel.

Posted 2 months ago #
  17. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Until they pass a law stating you cannot smoke in your vehicle. Time to start looking for a place in the middle of nowhere, I guess. With no one around to complain; you can at least have your pipe/cigar in peace.

Michael
    Posted 2 months ago #
  18. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

California, tumbles into the sea... Steely Dan.

"The revolt of the Elites against the Commoners"

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 2 months ago #
  19. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Arnold talking about cigars

Yes, that puts things in perspective alright.

So does this:

My relationship to power and authority is that I'm all for it. People need somebody to watch over them. Ninety-five percent of the people in the world need to be told what to do and how to behave. -- Arnold Schwarzenegger

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/arnold_schwarzenegger_168120

Posted 2 months ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

64alex

Login to Send PM

Very seriously I hope it will be banned also every Marjuana smoking recreational product, but I am afraid it won't be the case.

Posted 2 months ago #
  21. anantaandroscoggin

anantaandroscoggin

Login to Send PM

It's already illegal in some states to smoke in your vehicle if you have children as passengers at the time.

Posted 2 months ago #
  22. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This immediately brought to mind some of my favorite Steely Dan lyrics:

I detect the El Supremo
    From the room at the top of the stairs

Show Biz Kids making movies of themselves
    You know they don't give a fuck about anybody else

Man, I love me some Steely Dan! Pretzel Logic being my favorite!

California, tumbles into the sea... Steely Dan.

"The revolt of the Elites against the Commoners"

Good quote, Dave!

I still like, “Learn to swim, I’ll see you down in Arizona Bay” - Tool. If you listen to the entirety of the lyrics (vulgar) it’s very clear that Manard James Keenan is not very fond of California and for good reason based solely on his lyrics. He brings a lot of California’s follies to light.

Posted 2 months ago #
  23. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

One Texan said me just another day'Paul You know nothin' good comes out from State of California'exaggeration of course..

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 months ago #
  24. railman

railman

Login to Send PM

“Recreational nicotine products” - rebranding to make it sound like a hard drug - “recreational heroin”

However “recreational marijuana” is cool though, it’s ok to have that, it’s medicine.

Makes me glad I do live in the middle of nowhere!

Posted 1 month ago #
  25. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I had that kind of money, and irrespective of the tobacco rules, I don't think I'd live in Beverly Hills. I'd have many choices, and that wouldn't be it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  26. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same. I'm not a Big-Apple-L.A.-high-flash-Type-A-Prime guy. Louisville, yeah, I'd live there again in half a heartbeat. I'm also QUITE content where I am right now. "I'm alright, Jack."

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  27. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Same. I'm not a Big-Apple-L.A.-high-flash-Type-A-Prime guy. Louisville, yeah, I'd live there again in half a heartbeat. I'm also QUITE content where I am right now. "I'm alright, Jack."**

** -- And BTW, yes, I do know what that means. But me, I'm just fine here out of L.A's/NYC's way, so "I'm....."

Bill

Posted 1 month ago #
  28. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

It's already illegal in some states to smoke in your vehicle if you have children as passengers at the time.

That's one I don't have a problem with. If the parents are too stupid, self-centered, oblivious, addled, infantile, addicted or any combination thereof to avoid forcing their kids to breathe smoke in an enclosed space, then I guess some form of enforcement is required.
    Much as I love everything about pipe smoking, I don't bullshit myself that this is a healthy habit. So what business do I have forcing this on a kid?

Posted 1 month ago #
  29. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not a Big-Apple-L.A.-high-flash-Type-A-Prime guy.

+1 ... Fly-over country is way underrated.

Posted 1 month ago #
  30. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

mark,

I may need to buy a nice RV and hire a driver in order to travel.

I'll drive for free as long as I get the big bedroom.

Posted 1 month ago #
  31. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fly-over country, yes. Fabulous places to camp, lodge, visit, explore, and without the press of gawking crowds milking the scene for celebrity experiences. Some of the supper clubs in rural Wisconsin are time machines for the best of the fifties. You just have to plan carefully, fly to the nearest available airport so you don't have to drive through too much open country, or do the open country by land and see what you discover. The whole interior of the US is primo, for a little study in the guide books. Beverly Hills beverly schmills.

Posted 1 month ago #
  32. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Agree in toto, Tom. "Blue Highways," just like William Least Heat Moon said.

B

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper