PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colejm

Lurker
Dec 28, 2015
OKC
What is your beverage of choice while smoking your pipe? Is it the same beverage every time or do you change it up? How does your beverage complement your tobacco?

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
After a lot of experimentation....diluted fruit juices or semi sweet iced tea.
I find they cleanse my palette and renew the tobacco taste, but at full strength they're just too sweet. I prefer them chilled, but not cold.
I tried carbonated drinks but they were just too hard on my tongue while smoking.
I've tried whiskey, but it confuses the taste of both the tobacco and whisky.
Coffee, is OK but not quite as pleasing as the juice.
In the interest of full transparency, I'm what you might call a pipe wussy. I smoke Lane 1Q, Mac Baren original Choice and OTC blends like CH and SWR. That evil weed that so many here like (latakia) literally turns my stomach and makes my head hurt.
Fascinating how we all have different tastes

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I must be the only one who does not drink while smoking a pipe, as everyone seems to has some sort of beverge, except me.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I find that as long as the drink is not too strong and has no aftertaste. And of course is a drink I like, they tend to refresh my palatte so I can enjoy the tobacco more.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, it is. Some Virginias do the same to me, and I don't like Burley. I wish I knew what VAs to go for and which to avoid. I seem fine with just about anything with Latakia in it.
Water is number one beverage, fruit or fruit flavored juices next. If I am outside with an early morning pipe, espresso may accompany. More likely, cappuccino.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Coffee and Carter Hall go well together, but otherwise I don't drink when I smoke a pipe with exception to a little water at times.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
I usually drink coffee, beer and water. Those are my go tos. I do enjoy my full wet bar and make some mean classic cocktails, and really like my scotches and brandy for sipping. For smoke paring, (if I do it at all, since I mainly smoke well doing something else), I like coffee with Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, and scotch with my english blends. I don't remember the last time I had a soda, but it's been at least a year or more.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
Morning I'll have coffee with a mild blend. Evenings maybe a Sam Adams lager or El Hefe Weizen

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I don't have anything special other than Coffee, Redbull, Water, Tea, Beer or Whisky.
Other that coffee in the morning, it's a grab-bag of when and where.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Wow. I rarely drink when I smoke. Today, for the first time in ages, I brought my coffee outside with me for my morning smoke. I only occasionally drink Scotch and smoke then, but, I consider that smoking while drinking not drinking while smoking.
Oliver Winery Honey Mead in 3...2...

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I drink Ice Tea all day long so that would have to be it, I do enjoy a few beers after work and occasionally a bit of straight Bourbon

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
In the morning its with coffee.

During the day would be water or tea. (lap sung souchong or liquorice with water, or an irish breakfast with milk)

Evening is tea or whiskey, laphroaig if I can afford it (not this year, or last year ha).
The closest I generally come to drinking something sweet with the pipe would be bourbon, ginger wine or plum wine or a port.

Status
Not open for further replies.