PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Well, I thought that after storing my pipes on my underwear shelf for two months they deserved a better home (no pun intended, see pictures). So I made a makeshift pipe rack. I know it looks crappy and I didn't set out on making it look good at all, but it gets the job done. I originally wanted to make a desk top pipe holder and realized that this cardboard is very flimsy, so I taped it on the box and viola a pipe rack haha. I plan on making one for each of my pipes to go around the sides of the box, leaving space for me to pick it up of course. I hope to find/buy a piece of plywood to cover in felt and then staple the bottom of the box to for support. This way all of my tobacco and pipes will be in the same place. It is very redneck I know but after all I am living in Arkansas right now (no offense to anyone from here haha). I also included a picture of my corncob as well so you guys can get the full effect.
6cc2cf79.jpg

293d4773.jpg

b2b5e25c.jpg

Some say necessity is the mother of all invention, I say being poor coupled with necessity is the mother of all invention.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Very true, the phrase does go both ways. I really was putting something away and noticed a piece of cardboard falling off the top so I cut off all the flaps. In doing so I thought hmmm maybe I could make a rest for my pipes out of this. And when all was said and done I had a makeshift pipe rack taped to the box lol. It was pretty fun too. Obviously I could have spent more time on it but I had 10 minutes to spare and I have been needing a place to put my daily smoker.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I might make some more so I guess I can dedicate more time to it and use a ruler etc. to get the job done right.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
And sorry Kevin, I can't do a rack of the year I don't think the members could afford it. Besides, I think that title already goes to my girlfriend (I may have just crossed a line here lol).

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
I decided to make another one. I like trying to think of new ways to do it each time. The last one had a complicated underbelly that was full of support pieces. This time I went with a simple side support and then made a tape "basket" for the pipe to rest in. I think this one looks better. Let me know what you guys think. I know they aren't nice looking but I would rather them be the nicest looking crap you've seen lol.
25ae719e.jpg

34155fc6.jpg

I also acknowledge I am in no way an engineer, I am a psychology major haha, so if you guys have any suggestions please feel free to make them. I think it would also be fun if you guys could suggest designs as well. I will try my best to duplicate them if they aren't too technical.
For the next one I was thinking of cutting out a flap from the cardboard backing instead of attaching one. So it would be cut out, lifted up, and taped. That way it looks less nasty. I could also just cut a hole in the bottom for the pipe to rest in. Let me know what you guys think of that. Sorry if it seems weird or nerdy but I am a very bored college student with a very light workload this semester lol.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Beautiful interior design objects ;). Although, I am not very good at making things with my hands either so I shouldn't say anything. Seems to get the job done.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Although, I am not very good at making things with my hands either so I shouldn't say anything.

Haha I will take that as a compliment Juni? I have been going more for practicality versus style but now I see you have proposed a challenge, whether you meant to or not LOL, so I will have to see if I can make one presentable. I have just been making these in about 10 minutes making up crap as I go along.
I have been thinking though if I do the slit method and tape it on the undersides then it would look clean cut. I just would have to get my cuts right. But that will be easy to do tomorrow when I can find my ruler and stuff. For now I have just been throwing these two together as test models as they will be hanging off the back of my desk for the most part.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
We don't have these here, but wouldn't the stand these come in work as a pipe stand?
hersheys-milk-chocolate-swoops-big.jpg

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
You can do amazing things with corrugated cardboard. The college I attended in 70 is still using a cardboard prop table we built WAY back the in the drama department. From out in the seats you can't tell it from an oak dining table. One stage hand can move it and it's strong enough for..............................amorous adventures. No I won't tell ya how I know!

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Juni, if you ever come across those I'm pretty sure some of the wives of the smokers on here would LOVE to take the chocolate off your hands so you can make your stands haha.
Unclearthur, is corrugated cardboard different than this type? And if so then where can it be found?

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
I suppose a thread of "racks" critique would probably eliminate any possibility of feminine members...
@wallbright, I like your creativity with cardboard. Yes, it looks like ass, but it's functional, and integrated with your stash! How cool is that? When I got the urge to have a rack, I weighed my meagre woodworking skills against my eBay skills and I took the easy way out. I picked up a four-pipe rack, humidor and two pipes for $5 plus shipping. Then I cleaned it up and refinished it and it looks like new.
However, now I'm wondering if I could come up with a design for a pipe stand via business card origami. I've got hundreds of outdated business cards that I turn into boxes for my kids from time to time. Anybody with a pattern, contact me!
Simon
PS. It's the "Better Homes and Gardens" logo that really pushes the quality of the rack over the top!

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
William, I can't beleive you. You sold me your store bought pipe racks, now you are making custom made racks and keeping them all to yourself :D

Status
Not open for further replies.