Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Breaking Bad was just about the only TV show I ever got in to enough to watch religiously. Naturally, the prequel series Better Call Saul was going to fill the void left by BB's end.

The first 2 seasons did the trick nicely..but how long did it take for season 3 to start?.. a year?!
No matter.. here we are. And I feel we're really just getting started.
Who's with me?

What'd you think of S3E1?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you!! I'd overlooked setting up a recording for that.... And boo-hoo, have to wait till Thursday to catch the re-run! ( DIRECTV, Ch 254, 12:00 a.m. 4/13)
So, totally with you on the concept, a bit behind on the execution....

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Immediately after the episode they aired "Talking Saul".. an hour long discussion of the episode with the producers and Mike and Kim. Not sure if they do this after every episode but it was a good watch. Pretty sure it can be found on youtube.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
My wife and teenage kids were the ones that first got hooked on Breaking Bad.
I had caught part of one episode, pretty grizzly scene, didn't immediately tickle my fancy so I blew it off.
After they had binge watched the entire series I relented and agreed to watch the first 3 episodes. I was hooked after two.
I too binge watched it and was not ready for the series to be over. Even though I hate being put in a position to root for the bad guy.
When Better call Saul came out it was sort of the same thing. Thought the first show was only so so. Put it off for a while and then binge watched the first two seasons over 3 or 4 nights.
We're "cord cutters" and don't have cable or dish tv, watch everything through our Roku boxes. So, it'll prolly be a while before Season 3 shows up on hulu, netflix or amazon (can't remember which one I watch it on)

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Am I the only one here who is not into breaking bad? I got through watching three full seasons ... when I have decided it is no longer for me. "Better call Saul" is a title that pops in my netflix recommendation every so often, but simply not curious. I don't know ... perhaps because I had both parents surviving cancer is a reason why I never got into it, or perhaps simply the brutal change of character in the lead role simply didn't sit well with me.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I love breaking bad. Easily one of my top 5 series of all time. I find the transformation of the main character fascinating and also the dynamics between him and his partner in crime. I haven't taken up BCS yet, sometimes when a series has a logical conclusion I like to end it there. More isn't always better...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Breaking Bad is one of my top five as well. In fact, I've downloaded S3 to binge watch this week or next. There are a lot of details I didn't catch, or forgot, and it's a pleasure to watch again. Oh, and there are some semi-major plot turns I've not recalled until during the re-run.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Alex,
BCS isn't as much of a sequel as it is a prequel.
Kinda like getting the back story to BB.
I actually enjoy it.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
John:

If you have a smart phone, download the AMC app. S3E1 full episode is available immediately. Looks like it is also available on AMC.com.
S3E1 was a bit slow, like starting a steam locomotive - establishing/re-establishing plot & character development. I expect it to get better, particularly when Gus appears in the storyline (not a spoiler, as he appeared in the promos).

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I loved breaking bad and I am also really fond of Better Call Saul.
S3 opener was great. I especially loved the clip at the beginning (black and white "future" part). I'm really interested in this post-breaking bad storyline that they are teasing from time to time. I wonder if the show will eventually jump to post-BB entirely.
The show is fantastic all around. Writing, acting, and directing.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I started with Better Call Saul, then binge watched Breaking Bad. I'm now waiting for the twain to meet. Two great shows that go great together. You got skateboard in my crystal meth. The scene out in the desert where Jimmy is bargaining for the skateboarder's lives is just wonderful.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I was a Breaking Bad fan from the premiere, so I wouldn't miss an opportunity to see the back story on Slippin Jimmy.

I like the opener, lots of Mike Armentrout.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Mike is a great character, but a big fail on him being from Philadelphia. So many "that's not Philly" errors, it's clear that they never factchecked the scripts.

alexnorth

Apr 7, 2015
That sounds way more interesting bonanza! I'll probably have to give this series a shot!

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I think a key cog this season (between the McGill brothers) is Howard Hamlin. On the surface you get the impression he's behind Chuck all the way, and in a business sense he surely is.

I get the feeling his heart is with Jimmy though, and it could end up being important.
Mike was probably my favorite character in BB, so I'm thrilled that so much of his story is intertwined from the jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.