Better Call Saul, Anyone?

(28 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by bluegrassbrian
  • Latest reply from woodsroad
  1. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Breaking Bad was just about the only TV show I ever got in to enough to watch religiously. Naturally, the prequel series Better Call Saul was going to fill the void left by BB's end.
    The first 2 seasons did the trick nicely..but how long did it take for season 3 to start?.. a year?!

No matter.. here we are. And I feel we're really just getting started.

Who's with me?
    What'd you think of S3E1?

Tobacco's a help because it clears the mind
    But like all your friends it is vilified
    They always say, the right amount's fine
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. skaukatt

skaukatt

Login to Send PM

So far so good, love the show!

Lawyer up!
    Lou

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thank you!! I'd overlooked setting up a recording for that.... And boo-hoo, have to wait till Thursday to catch the re-run! ( DIRECTV, Ch 254, 12:00 a.m. 4/13)

So, totally with you on the concept, a bit behind on the execution....

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Immediately after the episode they aired "Talking Saul".. an hour long discussion of the episode with the producers and Mike and Kim. Not sure if they do this after every episode but it was a good watch. Pretty sure it can be found on youtube.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

My wife and teenage kids were the ones that first got hooked on Breaking Bad.

I had caught part of one episode, pretty grizzly scene, didn't immediately tickle my fancy so I blew it off.

After they had binge watched the entire series I relented and agreed to watch the first 3 episodes. I was hooked after two.

I too binge watched it and was not ready for the series to be over. Even though I hate being put in a position to root for the bad guy.

When Better call Saul came out it was sort of the same thing. Thought the first show was only so so. Put it off for a while and then binge watched the first two seasons over 3 or 4 nights.

We're "cord cutters" and don't have cable or dish tv, watch everything through our Roku boxes. So, it'll prolly be a while before Season 3 shows up on hulu, netflix or amazon (can't remember which one I watch it on)

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Am I the only one here who is not into breaking bad? I got through watching three full seasons ... when I have decided it is no longer for me. "Better call Saul" is a title that pops in my netflix recommendation every so often, but simply not curious. I don't know ... perhaps because I had both parents surviving cancer is a reason why I never got into it, or perhaps simply the brutal change of character in the lead role simply didn't sit well with me.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. alexnorth

alexnorth

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love breaking bad. Easily one of my top 5 series of all time. I find the transformation of the main character fascinating and also the dynamics between him and his partner in crime. I haven't taken up BCS yet, sometimes when a series has a logical conclusion I like to end it there. More isn't always better...

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Breaking Bad is one of my top five as well. In fact, I've downloaded S3 to binge watch this week or next. There are a lot of details I didn't catch, or forgot, and it's a pleasure to watch again. Oh, and there are some semi-major plot turns I've not recalled until during the re-run.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. bonanzadriver

bonanzadriver

Login to Send PM

Alex,

BCS isn't as much of a sequel as it is a prequel.

Kinda like getting the back story to BB.

I actually enjoy it.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'll be watching it when I get home. It's almost as good as breaking bad.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

BCS- Love to see Michael McKean as a hard nosed prick. Way different from other roles I've seen him play.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

John:
    If you have a smart phone, download the AMC app. S3E1 full episode is available immediately. Looks like it is also available on AMC.com.

S3E1 was a bit slow, like starting a steam locomotive - establishing/re-establishing plot & character development. I expect it to get better, particularly when Gus appears in the storyline (not a spoiler, as he appeared in the promos).

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I loved breaking bad and I am also really fond of Better Call Saul.

S3 opener was great. I especially loved the clip at the beginning (black and white "future" part). I'm really interested in this post-breaking bad storyline that they are teasing from time to time. I wonder if the show will eventually jump to post-BB entirely.

The show is fantastic all around. Writing, acting, and directing.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I started with Better Call Saul, then binge watched Breaking Bad. I'm now waiting for the twain to meet. Two great shows that go great together. You got skateboard in my crystal meth. The scene out in the desert where Jimmy is bargaining for the skateboarder's lives is just wonderful.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, yeah. Lotsa great scenes in BB. The wives are played by very competent actors, too.

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The wives are stellar.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I was a Breaking Bad fan from the premiere, so I wouldn't miss an opportunity to see the back story on Slippin Jimmy.
    I like the opener, lots of Mike Armentrout.

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike is a great character, but a big fail on him being from Philadelphia. So many "that's not Philly" errors, it's clear that they never factchecked the scripts.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. alexnorth

alexnorth

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That sounds way more interesting bonanza! I'll probably have to give this series a shot!

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. bluegrassbrian

bluegrassbrian

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think a key cog this season (between the McGill brothers) is Howard Hamlin. On the surface you get the impression he's behind Chuck all the way, and in a business sense he surely is.
    I get the feeling his heart is with Jimmy though, and it could end up being important.

Mike was probably my favorite character in BB, so I'm thrilled that so much of his story is intertwined from the jump.

Posted 2 years ago #
  21. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike is a slick operator!

And next week we get old Gus back!

Cossackjack- Thanks for the tip on streaming, but I held out to watch it on the big screen as it recorded at midnight last night.

I may learn something about tracking devices....

And, Dan- What's the biggest gaffe regarding Mike and Philly? (I hadn't focussed at all on where he was supposedly from...)

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mike fails the Philly test on several fronts, but the most obvious is the accent. Not correct by a long shot. The Philadelphia accent and it's accompanying parochialisms is quite unique. Next was a script issue where they refer to "North side" or something like that when referring to a police district. Philadelphians never use "side" as a geographic description. Last is the flashback scene where he kills the two cops. Not filmed in Philly.

Philadelphia is always playing second fiddle to New York, so we get a little testy about this stuff!

Still, it's a great character and phenomenal acting.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks! I really like this kind of stuff, and I will be paying attention to Mike in an additional, different way.

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Straight outta Delco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMvGW3Y83B4

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm just about half way through the Breaking Bad DVD set and thoroughly enjoying it

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  26. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Al, are you a native Fluffian?

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

@woods - I almost said "no", then, I remembered that I was born in Chester PA (Philly Naval Hospital). My dad taught at the former Pennsylvania Military Academy, now Widner College. I got off that exit once last year, drove about two blocks, made a u-turn and got back on 95. Some country singer was right, you can't go home again...

11 Signs that You Are From Delco

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Delco is a unique place, I have cousins out there. Chester is...sorrowful.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   hawky454, frankrem, eeshooter, artificialme, hoosierpipeguy, mikethompson, kylef, tbradsim1, eddiegrob