PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

shimrra

Might Stick Around
Jun 21, 2011
Ok, so i live in NewEngland where the humidity and the temp are often the same number.

now i have noticed most of my tobacco is pretty moist right out of the pack (been buying drugstore packs of like 1.5 oz)

now if figure when i gather my first tobacco from a real B&M instead of a generic smoke shop, it's going to be a higher wuality to begin with, but on the same note, i don't really know how i'm supposed to keep tobacco. the small packs have been lasting me ~2 days, so i figured i would get a weeks worth at the B&M, but i don't want to open it up on day 5 and find out i made tobacco stew from improper storage!
so what is the best short term storage method i can do without really anything fancy?

nabottle

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2011
Well, I live in FL and the temp. and humidity are the same number also. That phrase can be misleading. I store everything in 1/2 pint Mason Jars. Each one will hold a 2oz or 50g tin perfectly. It's cheap and according to a lot of the guys on here, it's the only way to go.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
If you're buying from a reputable B&M or a good etailer like the site sponsors here, the tin or zip-loc that it comes in should be more than adequate to store it for several weeks. But (there's always a but) if you're looking to expand your horizona and branch out into new blends, now is a perfect time to start building a cellar. Most of us think of cellaring as involving larger quantities of tobacco put aside for future enjoyment but you can start on a small scale just as easily.
This time of year almost any grocery store should have Mason jars in a variety of sizes (Actually, they'll probably be Ball or Kerr brand). I pay about $10 a case (12 jars), the smaller ones are a little less. Before using them, they should be sterilized. A pass through the dishwasher is the easiest way. Thoroughly rinse them out afterwards, you don't want any trace of soap remaining.
If you buy a 50g tin (1.75 oz.) leave an ounce or so in the tin for current use and put the rest in one of the jars, seal it tightly and label it with the name of the blend and the date. Put it somewhere cool and dark and forget about it for 6 months or a year. Tobacco that tastes good today will taste better a year from now, even better in 3 years.
You've accomplished two things. First, you've started a collection of blends that will improve with age and will give you a wider selection to choose from in the future. Second, you've given yourself a great excuse to go out and buy more tobacco and that's always a good thing. :puffy:

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
kcvet67 hit it right on the head. Follow his advice and you'll be on your way to wonderful future smokes.
-Jason

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
I have been using Mason jars for about 6 years now and they work great! Whether it is real humid or dry outside the tobacco in jars will stay at the same humidity. If you open them often the moisture may drop a little, but not much. I use 8, 16 and 32oz wide mouth jars, depending on amount of tobacco to cellar.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
As everyone else has said... Use mason jars!!
IMG_3249.jpg

I have even more now!

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
In a pipe, and lit... :puffy:
Seriously, I keep mine in mason jars also.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
A large pop cooler with a glass of water in it. Put your stored tobacco in baggies in it. Tobacco will keep indefinitely. Got this trick from Jack Peterson of Sterling Tobaccos. :)
Here's what it will look like after a while:
downsize-3.jpg

pdmus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 5, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I like to collect "vintage" tobacco tins. Only the painted ones, not the labeled ones. I keep my tobacco in these tins and they keep the tobacco perfectly. I enjoy the vibe of opening an old tin, taking a a bit of tobacco or a flake and filling my pipe. It's a major part of the hobby for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.