PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I was wondering what some good pipe tobaccos are that would be sold at Walmart? I am going grocery shopping soon and it would be convenient if I could pick up some pipe tobacco as well.

chlogeo3

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2010
Being a new Piper I would suggest Walgreens Tobacco. Good taste and for the price you cant beat it.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Wally World here no longer stocks bag tobaccos, but when they did Smokers Pride was not all that bad.

tommytree

Lurker
Jul 8, 2010
My Walmart stocks Prince Albert by the tub, but, seeing as my Walmart is Walmart Store #1, there may be a lot of differences.

tommytree

Lurker
Jul 8, 2010
By the way, Walmart may offer discounts on lots of products, but tobacco isn't one of them. If the convenience is worth it, go for it, but I'm sure you can find cheaper options that are only slightly less convenient.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Thanks guys. I will see if they have PA or Captain Black. Only reason I'm asking is because the local walgreens is charging $17 for a pouch and $60 for a tub. Idk what is wrong with the prices but I believe that is way too high.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
I agree with unclearthur,you can get smorker pride for about 13.00 for

a 12oz bag, that is my main smoke

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
I won't go to Wal Mart unless absolutely necessary after hearing about the way they treat their employees....a friend just went through a real shitty experience there and the stories he tells are unreal, and they all know it continues to go on year after year and they act like no one can do anything about it.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
How I see it if its that bad don't work there. I got a uncle that worked there for years and he got cancer and their insurance had him go the The Mayo Clinic here and Jacksonville which is one of the best hospitals in the world. I also have thick Scottish blood in me so anytime I can save a good bit of money I'm taking full advantage of it. Just my 2 cents everyone has a different opinion.
I haven't bought tobacco there in a while but I always like a little but of Captain Black.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
My Walmart only carried PA and Smokers Pride. I like PA but the only Smokers Pride I have tried was the Vanilla. It's OK. If you really want to save money, go online and order the good stuff for a lot less.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
My only reasoning behind Walmart is that I am a senior in college; however, my father still pays for part of my groceries every month. (I am very lucky in that regard). If I can buy my tobacco there then it will just look like groceries haha. But I suppose I can always buy an American Express giftcard. Does anybody know if they accept those at places like pipesandcigars.com, cupojoes.com and online retailers like that? I would only skim like $50 bucks which would be enough to last me for a while. I would order like Lane 1Q or something that is cheaper.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I bought one of their 1 lb. bags of vanilla... once.

It was decent, for about 2 or three days, then it began to taste like I was smoking sterno with 50 weight motor oil. I tasted nothing but chemicals.

It was bad. I had to throw it out.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
Well, I tried to buy a gift card to buy online and you have to pay cash for them now. I guess people were using stolen credit cards to buy credit cards to buy credit cards (yes twice) so they couldn't be traced in time. At least that is what I and the cashier proposed after a hearty talk. All that they had really was PA and I picked up 1 1/2 oz for 4.50 something. Not too bad considering its 5.29 on 4noggins for 2oz. This will have to last me I guess until I can figure out how to purchase more without paying for it haha. The PA seems a little dry is that normal? Or is this box just dried out?

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Wallbright wrote:

Only reason I'm asking is because the local walgreens is charging $17 for a pouch and $60 for a tub. Idk what is wrong with the prices but I believe that is way too high.
In my area, Walgreen's is one of the best places to go if you're looking for a bullshit deal on practically everything they have in stock. It seems some of the worst deals they have are, oddly enough, over-the-counter drugs.

whitebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2010
i will admit that Walgreen's OTC/bulk tobacco selection is limited and of rather poor quality--however if you're strapped for cash (familiar here) and have some time to invest, blending and tweaking several of their bulk blends can result in some fair; let me repeat 'fair'; smoking--
just remember, drying the stuff is an absolute necessity--with all the humectant used in these tobaccos, drying them in a crock pot or oven them won't hurt--it may affect the original blend flavor; so what,i have found it seldom hurts the flavor; but enhances it--
proceed with this in mind--this stuff will NEVER approach a quality blend, so judge it

accordingly; apples to apples and oranges to oranges--

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I have actually considered buying some of the bulk blends at Walgreens to see if they would work as a "filler" or if I could a decent smoke out of a little bit of some good tobacco mixed with this stuff, but at my Walgreens it is $18 for a 12oz bag, personally I would rather just pay the extra 8 bucks and get 16oz. of Lane product!

Status
Not open for further replies.