PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwilliams40

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2013
NY
Please list some of your favorite VaPer flake tobaccos, and why they are so good? So far I've tried PS Luxury Bullseye Flake...which has some Cavendish. What's the "holy grail" of VaPer flakes? Do you prefer to rub them out or fold and stuff? Thanks.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I like to fold and stuff. Thus far Escudo is my favorite, but I have a lot more to try.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Holy Grail? I would say Escudo fits the bill - though, like Bullseye Flake, it's a coin/medallion rather than a true flake. I have yet to find a VaPer that can compete with Escudo.
As for VaPer flakes, it's tough to beat Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake. This blend is great fresh, and improves dramatically with a little age. If I had to choose only one, it would probably be this one. I could smoke it every day and miss nothing else.
Another VaPer flake I love is Marlin Flake. Very different than Escudo in that it's the plummy rather than spicy side of Perique. It also contains some Cavendish, which may not meet your definition of a true VaPer flake. But delicious nonetheless.
While a broken flake rather than a true flake, you'll find GL Pease's Fillmore an outstanding, stout blend. Another broken flake you may enjoy if you really like Perique is McClelland's Beacon Extra. It's a blast...
(Oh, and to answer your last question, I lightly rub out my flakes. So kind of a hybrid of rubbing out and fold-n-stuff.)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
McClelland's St. James Woods is a broken flake and is in my top 10 tobaccos.
Their bulk #2015 is also quite good, especially with some age.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Cobguy said:
Their bulk #2015 is also quite good, especially with some age.
I'm smoking through a 1990ish tin of Drucquer's XX Press, which I suspect is re-labelled 2015. It's amazing. One of the best smokes I've had. The perique is pretty subdued after 25 years, but it's still got a little bit of nose tickle.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
St. James Flake from Sam Gawith. None better, imo. There is a good amount of Perique in addition to the quality VA's. Ages well and is just blended perfectly.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Since your not above smoking "pure" VaPers....
Tudor Castle by McCelland and Butra's Blended Flake are my top two. They both contain a bit of cedar/herb-like Oriental in them, but they are fantastic.
PS LNF and Marlin Flake as mentioned about are also excellent.
Edit: I actually prefer rubbing them out a bit, heavier fuller bits on the bottom and middle, and lighter thinner bits on top.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
As others have said, I really enjoy Tudor Castle and Escudo.
If you're willing to stretch beyond a straigh VaPer I'd highly recommend two tasty tobaccos:

- HU Tobacco's Director's Cut - http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4548/hu-tobacco-directors-cut

- GLP's Haddo's Delight - http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1424/g-l-pease-haddos-delight
-- Pat

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
After a few weeks of smoking Burley blends I pulled out my jar of McCllelands Beacon and lit a bowl. Damn! It was some of the finest tobacco I have ever smoked. A few days later I pulled out my jar of H&Hs Louisiana Red. Again some of the finest baccy I've had. I think if you like a few certain styles of baccy and switch between 'em, all will be good.
Now, IMHO McClellands Bulk 2015 is the tops for me. I never seem to tire of it. Second would have to be McClellands Beacon Extra, because sometimes you want more Perique. But to be honest I have not had a bad VaPer.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls. Which is just like Escudo…..only better.
can-of-wormsthumbnail.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
+1 PS Luxury Navy Flake. There are so many good ones, it's difficult to find a loser. I'm aging

some Elizabethan that I've heard is very good too.

riffraff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
South Carolina
I'm aging some Elizabethan that I've heard is very good too.
I too have a tin of that aging in my cellar. It only has about a year on it though. It is tempting to crack it. But in a day or two I will forget it is there. :)

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Orlik Golden Sliced- Nice, sweet mild all day type of smoke- Burns extremely well. Escudo is a coin cut and is excellent. Also my newest addition was Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake - much stronger than the last 2 mentioned. It has a buttery toffee like taste. Nice broken flake. Happy Hunting

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
No perique in Orlick Golden Sliced. Just VAs and a tick of burley. Go read the reviews. No one thought it had perique until Orlick said they made a typo. Then, and only then, did anyone suspect perique in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.