PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyamuk

Lurker
Nov 28, 2013
I will be getting my first briar soon and was wondering if there was a tobacco that you guys recommend for building a cake in the bowl? I have read articles that explained what it is and I understand that the cake can affect the flavor but I didn't know if there was a specific blend or something that would help make it more durable or if it would even matter if you did it the recommended way

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Most guys swear that Burley tobaccos build a nice cake, and quickly too!

IMO, Virginia, with its higher sugar content should carbonize the bowl quicker.

Best of all would be to use the blend that you enjoy the most. Smoking slowly is the most important thing.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
There are those who think that Virginia tobaccos produce the hardest most durable cake, and they may well be right. But I've always had great luck with Carter Hall-- quick burning but cool, tasty but mild, pretty quick at forming a good neutral cake. After a dozen or so bowls of that I'll often go to F&T Golden Mixture for a while to just solidify things a bit. Those two baccies build fine cake for me and also provide a pretty great smoke during break-in, which I generally despise.

nyamuk

Lurker
Nov 28, 2013
I appreciate the info, I've read a lot on here about briars and they seem to be finnicky, does it hurt them to smoke different types of mixtures or do they perform better if you stick to one all the time?

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I'd say don't worry about it. Smoke what you like and just let the cake happen in its own time.

I agree. Don't waste your time smoking something you don't like just for the sake of making cake. The process does not need to be hurried. If you intend to dedicate that pipe to a particular blend or category, smoke that and enjoy.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
Cake is overrated...grossly overrated. You want/need a minimal amount, so don't worry about building it. Any and every blend will build cake. Once I learned how to properly smoke a pipe, I think I enjoy the taste of virgin pipes better than broken-in pipes.
Smoke what you like, then your cake will be perfectly suited for the blends you like. Why smoke burley blends just for cake if you don't really like burley blends? All blends will build cake.

Strike Anywhere

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2011
In regards to your second question, I think it all depends on you. If you smoke latakia mixtures in a new pipe a few times then switch to aromatics, you will still taste that latakia for a few bowls (faintly). If you switch back to latakia mixtures, you'll faintly taste vanilla/cherry/whatever aromatic you were smoking. VAs and VAPERs will be more susceptible to lingering ghosts (meaning you'll notice that latkia or aromatic flavor more while trying to smoke those). If you like that experience, then jump around with your pipe(s). If you don't like that, then you should try to dedicate pipes to certain types of blends.
For that reason, many of us dedicate pipes to certain types of blends. Pipes for aros, pipes for "natural" blends (VAs, VAPERs, burley, or any combination), and pipes for latakia mixtures.

Aug 1, 2012
Nice info TAB. Never had much of a sensitivity to ghosts but they can sometimes be quite strong and require a bit of work to exorcise. Otherwise, smoke what you want and let the cake take care of itself (until it gets thick that is, then take care of it).

nyamuk

Lurker
Nov 28, 2013
I'm still in the process of trying to narrow down what flavors/blends that I like the most. My problem is I like everything haha

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yeah, I'd say OTC burleys make for a fine cake. Like Cater Hall and Prince Albert. But really when it comes down to it, just smoke what your favorite brand is and sure enough you'll develop a fine cake. Say, after ten bowls or so, you'll see it developing nicely. When I break in a new pipe I will intentionally give it less attention to cleaning out the bowl, as compared to other pipes with a well developed cake. After I smoke down to the bottom (I don't do thirds, just load her up and go), I'll shake the ash up in the depleted bowl to coat the chamber walls evenly. Clean the draft well. Then rack it. I'll do this for the first half dozen bowls or so. Then I'll begin to give attention to the chamber, by gently swabbing it with a used bent pipe cleaner. After another half dozen bowls or so, then I'll get more aggressive with the chamber and begin wiping it out with a twisted paper towel. Once the cake is nice and good, why, I'll dribble some drops of alcohol into the chamber and insert a bit of paper towel and using a pair of forceps twist it around to REALLY clean out the bowl. Your millage may vary, depending on how retentive your anus is.

dottle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2012
The best cake maker Ive ever used is Carter Hall. It will cake a pipe fast..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't build cake. You want the inside of the bowl evenly blackened, and that's about it. That will happen

by itself. Wipe the bowl out after you scoop out and blow out the bowl. Building cake leads to reaming

the bowl, and that leads to breaking down the pipe, or just tearing it up by reaming. A lot of old pipers

never ream their pipes because they don't let much cake build up. Follow their (our) example. For breaking

in your pipe, Carter Hall is fine, or any evenly burning burley and/or Virginia tobacco or blend.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Just smoke what you feel like - as long as you're not a complete ruffian, and clean after each bowl, the pipe will take care of itself.
On another note - for some reason, when I first read the title, I thought you were on about the kind of cakes you bake... Confused and more than a little horrified!

Just smoke it for the enjoyment of whatever leaf you enjoy. Don't worry about the cake, cake just happens. It sort of baffles me that one would smoke a certain tobacco, not for the enjoyment of that blend but just to build a cake, LOL.
Keep it wiped out. Don't fret over it, and enjoy getting to know your new pipe. Soon enough, you'll be fighting back the cake with sandpaper or pocket knife :D

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I smoke all day long and have battled cake for the nearly 6 years I've been smoking. Until recently, I always let it just build up until it was 1/4 thick or worse then scraped it out completely. This was just my laziness to maintain my pipes. Then, I started letting it get to 1/8th thick and scraping it all out. That takes me less than a month, easy. Now, thanks to this forum, I bought a pipe knife for $5 and I have been gently scraping my bowl after each smoke and every night reaming with a paper towel. Not much effort really and I enjoy it. My pipe has a nice dime or less thick cake and it's been about a month. Happy guy here because I can actually fit a decent amount of tobacco in my pipe every smoke!
Any thicker than a dime and it doesn't do any benefit to protect or insulate and give flavor. I didn't use to believe this and used to think the thicker the better, but now I know this is not true.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Cake happens. Don't fret. My advice, like that of many others here, is to smoke what you like, take your time and try to smoke to the bottom of the bowl. It's gonna be OK.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My advice is simple.

Smoke what you want to.

Just don't be in a hurry.

The slower (relatively speaking) you build your cake, the harder and more durable it will be.

IMHO

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.