Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Best Tobacco For Buzz?

(41 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimboa30

Login to Send PM

I enjoy cigars and pipes primarily for the buzz; neither form of smoking requires you to inhale (I can't inhale smoke, period), so it's my preferred way to relax. Pipe smoking is more aesthetically pleasing to me, but I haven't been able to get the same buzz from it that I have when I enjoy a cigar. Does anyone know the best kind of brands for pipe smoking? I would prefer a brand I can find in a physical location to where I am (San Antonio, TX), as I won't be able to order anything online any time soon. Anyone know?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. fadingdaylight

fadingdaylight

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

G.L. Pease Jack Knife Plug is pretty potent stuff.

- Jason
    "Lost in thought and lost in time... While the seeds of life and the seeds of change were planted... Outside the rain fell dark and slow... While I pondered on this dangerous but irresistible pastime..."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldtoby

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

GH Dark Flake does it for me.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. layinpipe

layinpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1792 flake. i'd recommend blending with a touch of an aromatic to smooth and balance it out, maybe 80%-20%.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. robusthermit

robusthermit

Login to Send PM

C&D Old Joe Krantz has a heavy dose of vitamin N.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. broth

broth

Login to Send PM

I consider myself to have a fairly high nicotine tolerance. I smoked cigarettes for years. I smoke Nightcap regularly and have never gotten a buzz. So far the only thing I've really had any nic-hit from is Vincent Manil La Brumeuse Semois. That stuff knocked my socks off. I actually had to stop smoking it before I was done with the bowl because I was starting to be affected so heavily and didn't want to get the sweats/shakes. I've only had the 1 bowl so far, so it could've just been that specific night...but it was REALLY strong.

It's back in stock here: http://thepipeguys.com/product/tabac-semois-la-brumeuse/

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Two blends that give a respectable nicotine buzz are Nightcap and Five Brothers. There are many others. My
    suggestion is to not have that be a major goal with pipe smoking. It's addictive and can take over your pleasure
    in pipe smoking otherwise. When it turns up, I find it a pleasant addition to a bowl of tobacco, but I don't want
    to be hooked. That's one perspective on it, anyway.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The absolute strongest blend that I have ever smoked was the other day, I had a bowl of Robert McConnell's Pure Caribe. I didn't think that I was going to be able to drive home for quite a while. It tastes like pure cowshit, and I would also suggest smoking it on the toilet, as it might make you mess yourself.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

GH&Co Dark Flake, or any brown rope. Stronger than any cigar I ever smoked, and I smoked a lot of them in the past.

Posted 5 years ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

rmason

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any of the following will do the trick just fine, the best are Royal Yacht, Five Brothers, and any rope style though.
    ~Ron

Ron
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. latbomber

latbomber

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My ultra-tip: Just get a bigger pipe!

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. flakyjakey

flakyjakey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@latbomber, have you tried smoking GH&Co Dark Flake in a large bowl?? LOL

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. bluesmk

bluesmk

Login to Send PM

Jack Knife Plug,Old Joe Krantz,Haddo's Delight,Peterson's Irish Flake.
    Dan
    Gabrieli Pipes

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

Stonehaven does it for me (probably because I'm a wimp!) Smoked 4 bowls 1 night with about 4 drinks, stood up, walked a few yards, and hit the ground....I now smoke it in a Group1 bowl...:)

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just picked up a package of Semois from Belgium. It packs a wallop. Its a ribbon cut and very dry. Has cigar like characteristics and some floral tones to it. I got a buzz from the small bowl I had but I also smoked it quickly. It burns fast.

You can get it here

The Pipe Guys

Edit: Broth already mentioned it so I will back his recommendation.

Michael
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Condor!

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. foggymountain

foggymountain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have only tried one pipe tobacco that is as strong as cigars. It is an old Lane Limited product called Vuelta Abajo (Down in the Valley) which is all Cuban cigar tobacco. I didn't like it but you would love it. I doubt you can get it anymore because of the Cuban product ban. You might try Dunhill Royal Yacht for a buzz. Smoke it all the way down in a big pipe.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

G.L. Pease Robusto and Jack Knife Plug

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. drhuff

drhuff

Login to Send PM

GL Pease Haddo's Delight
    Five Brothers

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. escioe

escioe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

User Pipestud mixes GLP's Jackknife Plug with Five Brothers for extra strength. Jackknife Plug is about as much as I can handle in a medium sized pipe, but Pipestud rides a steed named Nicotine over the rest of us mortals.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I have to second Condor. Just smoked my first bowl of it tonight and it was out of this world. loco crazy nicotine.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Black irish twist, people need to sit down usually smoking it. Also C&D's night train is probably the biggest nic hit I've personally tried, but I inhale my pipe. If you're really after the tobacco buzz you'll probably find you have to inhale, I inhale cigars too.

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am aware that some nicotine is absorbed through the oral mucosa but typically the tobacco itself has to be placed in contact, stuck between the lip and gum. I have never gotten an actual buzz from smoking it without (accidentally) inhaling. And Royal Yacht and Nightcap are my mainstays.

Posted 5 years ago #
  24. 2smoke

2smoke

Login to Send PM

Tambolaka!

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brown Irish Twist. Stronger than Black Irish Twist. The only smoke so far to leave me dizzy.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. edgreen

edgreen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Haddo's Delight had me dizzier than a "Dizzy Bat Race." In fact, I smoked cigars for thirty years with not a single of nic overload. It's happened several times since I started back on the pipe. I have to be sure to smoke really slowly and also make sure the baccy is not too dry on most perique blends (Dunbar,rimboche'SJ,Elizabethan mixture,haddos,etc). Escudo is the only va/per that hasn't ever caused me problems. Part of the learning curve I guess.

Tobacco's a musician.And in a pipe delighteth;It descends in a close,Through the organ of the nose, With a relish that inviteth.
    Barten Holiday
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. natibo

natibo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Five Brothers is the strongest I've tried with maybe the exception of 1792 flake.

Bo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've got this neat looking green tobacco that gives me a really good buzz.

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Arhh the thinking mans tobacco!

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. brudnic1

brudnic1

Login to Send PM

I'll vote for Tambolaka

Doña Agatha bat Tedesco
    Posted 5 years ago #
  31. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cornell & Diehl "Haunted Bookshop" makes me light headed, dizzy, and haunted.
    It lives in my "cellar" now...some day...I will try it again.

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

the only pipe tobacco that is even within sight of the same zip code as a full strength cigar is Tambolaka, but I'd take the cigar 10 times out of 10

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peterson Irish Oak.

Posted 5 years ago #
  34. shaintiques

shaintiques

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hamborger Veermeister has a good N content as well as Haddos delight. I also felt like a Capstan Blue Flake had a good bit.

I know what I need, smoke, I can't recall the last time I tasted it....Gandalf in the mines of Moria.

"we shall have to share pipes, as good friends must at a pinch'....'I keep a treasure or two near my skin, as precious as rings to me. Here's one: my old wooden pipe. And here's another an unused one...He held up a small pipe with a wide flattened bowl, and handed it to Gimli. 'Does that settle the score between us', said Merry. 'Most noble hobbit, it leaves me deep in your debt."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  35. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's funny, I must have a high Nic tolerance, as I've smoked quite a few of the blends mentioned and have never been buzzed by them. Not that I wouldn't say they're not strong, I just haven't been buzzed by them. The only one I've not finished a bowl of was Five Brothers. Not because of the strength, but because of taste. I just didn't like it.
    The last time I remember catching a buzz from pipe tobacco, was from a blend that I wouldn't normally call "strong".
    It was early in the morning, I was fresh out of bed, I hadn't eaten and I was barely awake. The blend was McClelland's 221b Honeydew Flake, I guess the conditions were just right for a buzz.

Posted 5 years ago #
  36. 4nogginsmike

4nogginsmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Royal Yacht
    Dark Flake
    GH Brown Irish X
    GH Black Irish X
    SG Brown #4
    SG Black XX
    Irish Flake

La Brumeuse is not in the same class of potency.

If you would max nicotine smoke cigars.

Posted 5 years ago #
  37. layinpipe

layinpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a recent other thread has talked about regarding it, Peterson's Irish Flake has quite the nic kick and is absolutely wonderfully delicious. It is probably my all time favorite blend and would have to be my "stranded on an island with one tobacco" blend. Highly recommend trying it out.

Posted 5 years ago #
  38. layinpipe

layinpipe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

4nogginsmike,

Lol, I have every one of those tobaccos in my rotation and enjoy them all. You are spot on though, as they all pack quite the nic kick!

Posted 5 years ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

All the ropes from Gawith & hoggarth will fill in your boots. But these are really strong in nicotine, not for the faint of heart (and they will put a lot of hair on your chest!)

Posted 5 years ago #
  40. jfox520

jfox520

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am just getting into the ropes. I have tried Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Black Irish X and love it nice nic hit. My next one will be Rum Twist.

Tobacco Reviews https://jfox520.blogspot.com/
    Over 10,000 page views.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  41. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're looking for that "dizzy" sort of buzz that you get from cigarettes, nothing has given me that buzz but a cigarette.

All forms of nicotine consumption seem to give a different "buzz", much as wine gives a different "buzz" than vodka or even beer.

I prefer the even and slow influx of nicotine that a pipe gives, and most other forms of nicotine consumption for me, I do only because I can't have a pipe at the time. First choice, will always be my pipe. Once one gets that mindset (or if one ever does?), they will never crave anything but their pipe, and all other forms of nicotine consumption will become abhorrent. That's my experience as a confirmed nicotine addict.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   newbroom, tobefrank