PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
What do you think is the best tobacco for a Meerschaum? Virginia, Burley, English/Balkan, Aromatic? I am not talking about coloring properties, just about which tobacco, if any, is rendered best in a Meerschaum.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm new to Meers, but from Forums comments I'd say the point of Meers is that they render any blend with clarity.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
A meer will probably reveal the subtleties of Virginias and Orientals best, but briar has a lot going for it too. Personally I don't prefer one pipe material over the other when it comes to taste.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
To me, I think they're great for all blends. They don't absorb flavors of previously smoked blends, i.e. ghosting. They make it easier to taste all those subtle flavors that some blends have, like others have said. I really enjoy my Englishes and Balkans in mine, but burleys shine in it too, especially those that have little notes of cocoa with their nuttiness.

Reactions: OSOBUCO
Jan 8, 2013
I smoke everything in my meers. That's one of the great things about them. You can switch from one blend or blend type to another, one after the other, and multiple times a day, multiple times a week, with little to no resting, and little to no ghosting. And the more you smoke it, the more it's going to color.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
The lack of character imparted by the meer sometimes reveals that a blend tastes better with the added note of the pipe. More often the opposite is true. All blends generally work well but a subtle straight Virginia on a cool day can really come into its own. To me Burley blends need the pipe notes, but that’s just my preference. Find out for yourself what works for you.
As others have said you can mix it up without concern.
Meers are tougher than most people seem to think. Some of my best workhorse pipes are meers. The only real “rule” is smoke the pipe and keep it from building cake, it doesn’t need it.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Any tobacco you want. Meers make it easy.
You got it right Ash!
I find St Bruno & Condors taste great in meers.
Paul,also plugs or ropes of any kind... :D
cdgY3zv.jpg

Reactions: LeafErikson

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great coloring on those two! I just came away with two new meers and one estate meer billiard, the latter ten bucks. Smokes just right.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
For me, IMHO, etc: slightly muted blends tend to shine in a Meer pipe and punchy in your face blends tend to shine in a briar pipe. Meer allows you to taste all the notes, even muted high notes, while briar tends to tone down some notes, especially high notes.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Any tobacco will color a meer but I've heard that a goopy Arro will color faster then anything else. Personally I've found that Virginias color just fine but I also do regular bees wax baths on my meers which speeds up coloring as well. Also try not to get them to hot during a smoke as that will burn off some of the color.

Status
Not open for further replies.