PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
I was given a bunch of samples by a fellow how had lots of toby blends. When I smelled the latakia blends I was mortified. I couldn't bring myself to try them. I finaly gutted it up and gave one a go, man I loved that stuff there after. I now keep a jar of latakia to throw into what ever I am smoking.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
My Yahoo moment wasnt too long ago. I am mostly an OTC tobacco smoker, but i ordered some Bald Headed Teacher and that is what made me the happiest I have been In a while. IT was my Birthday weekend, and I got the order just as i wasw headed to the river for the weekend. It was all I Had for the entire weekend of fishing with my dad and friends. I smoke it to this day with fond memories of that weekend.--A not so eventful tobacco was my 965 mixture. My absolute new favorite. It just happened to be in the right place at the right time with the perfect flavor that i needed. I is in my permanent rotation now as well. I have to put a story to everything, and I love all my tobaccos and all experienes associated with them. That is my top two right now. and sorry for the length of the post....

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Don't apologize for post length. I want to read your stories. I started with Captain Black back in the day. I took it up because a crane operator I knew smoked it. Man that stuff smelled good, I don't like that stuff anymore. Im on latakias and periques, I sometime mix perique and latakia 50/50 and smoke it.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I don't know about "best" but my most memorable was trying Magnum Opus for the first time in my Meerschaum. It was like something clicked and I thought "This is IT! This is what pipe smoking is supposed to be!" I think I even wrote something to that effect in my review, which I hadn't planned to write until the experience of tasting a spectacular blend full of that good old Latakia hit me. Yep. The dark side is where it's at!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
pipedreams, I think it's great that you form these memories and associations. It may not be a rare gift, but it is a gift to cherish.
baron, the epiphany that you describe is like the feeling you get upon arriving at a destination after a long journey.

Those are moments to live for, and I hope we experience that feeling of elation frequently.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I have lots of memorable pipe experiences but each time I reach a new plateau in my pipe knowledge like trying a new blend that adds to my rotation or even better, finally (hopefully) understanding a little about virginia blend flavors, those are memorable, happy experiences for me. Now, if I could just smoke a whole SG 1792 flake without relighting three times, then I would be happy!

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
I love the Lats & Periques as well. Good stuff.

The one that really flipped my switch is Plum Pudding from SPC. That's the only blend that I have dedicated a pipe to. To my taste buds it is awesome. Of course there are a lot I haven't tried yet.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I second Plum Pudding. It is very good but I have to puff it very slow because I tend to get a little bite.

ck12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2011
+1 on the plum pudding that and frog morton are my two favorites right now and both have always produced nothing less than an enjoyable smoking experience for me.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
I am enjoying PS Golden Dansk and JFH Ruins of Isengard.. A friend of mine turned me onto the Golden Dansk, and since then I have purchased six pounds of it so far... Most of it is cellared, and a pound out to smoke.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Still early for me since I just started smoking, but I took the kids for a walk a few weeks ago while smoking Boswell's Bear Blend. I felt really peaceful and very close to my grandfather who used to smoke on walks with me as a kid. I miss him more the older I get.

loborx

Apr 20, 2011
Once upon a time, ducking into a roadside smokeshop/giftshop on the AZ/NM border and finding a shelf in the back groaning with Murray Dunhill tins and Edgeworth Slices. Sort of a Vallhalla moment for me.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
The best baccy experience to date was the first time I smoked Irish Flake. It tasted unique and it still does. I can also say with confidence that since I have learned how to smoke properly :puffy:

terrenced

Lurker
Jul 19, 2012
For me , the mind blowing, leg shaking toe tapping yahoo this is it, was Friedman and pease Winters Tale! I have begged the dark lord for rerelease to no avail.if you ever find some snag it.

Terrence

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Nothing quite like firing up that bowl that just hits your tastes buds perfectly.
My recent smokes that really stood out were H&H Cerebus and C&D Montford Point. Amazing smokes!

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I've probably tried more than 150 tobaccos, some were good, most were decent but not memorable, a few were truly awful and just a handful were great. I was searching for years for that elusive blend, the one that you can truly say, that's it; found my blend. It finally happened for me when I tried H&H 's Black House. Every single bowl still creeps up on me, I mean I am puffing away then, bang it goes out, I relight for a few puffs but to no avail, the bowl is all gone. I get no sign, it smokes that well all the way down to ash, every bowl is as good as the last, full of flavor, a decent amount of nic. and a smell that screams delicious. I cannot recommend Black House highly enough, Russ hit it out of the park, I smoke Black House 90% of the time, the rest being Rattrays Va.'s and Kentucky Club Burley. I never got to try the Sobranie Russ was emulating with BH but I cannot imagine it was any better, maybe not even quite as good.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
When I first tried Penzance...about a week ago
got a sample from hobie, now i'm on the hunt for a bag!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.